virus scanners arnt finding virii on my ext hard drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Divided Sky, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

so i got a new laptop the other day, spent all day loading it up and configuring it. that night the last thing i did was connect my ext hds and loaded the mp3s on my hds to itunes and thats when the infection from my ext hds got to my laptop. it killed to the laptop, i had to reformat :uh:

so now i reformatted and ive scanned my two hds but they cant find the virii, wtf?

its the dc.exe/fun.exe/SVIQ.exe/winsit.exe worm.

no other place the virii could have came from but the ext hard drives, i had those virii on my previous computer but we peacefully coexisted. all the programs i downloaded was from what/waffles

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

are your virus scan programs completely up to date? what are you using? avg and avast are both free and supposed to be good.

also, did you search on the internet to find out what is needed to clean that particular virus?

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Viruses?

I think its pretty ironic I have never installed antivirus software and have never had a problem with viruses... Gee, I wonder what would happen to those companies profits if they actually did eliminate all viruses...?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Nothing would happen to their profits. Corporations would still buy antivirus software because of the mere possibility that a new virus could start spreading.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

it's not ironic at all. i've installed virus scan software and kept it update, but have never run across a virus in my years of using computers (at least on my own PCs). it is just a matter of understanding where they can come from and how to avoid them. the average user doesn't understand these things, so they need virus scan to protect them.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I still say antivirus companies are secretely funneling money to the virus developers and/or making them themselves.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

oh, yeah. i wouldn't be surprised.

8. deusexaethera

Can you imagine what would happen to one of those companies if they got caught making viruses? They would get slapped with a federal extortion lawsuit so fast it would make your head spin. Don't forget the government is a huge consumer of software products.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I can imagine, and I can see the government turning a blind eye.... It's helping to "stimulate the economy"! :mamoru:

10. deusexaethera

Not a chance. The government would be up in arms that the companies they trusted to protect their computers were in fact jeopardizing them. The CEO probably would be dead before his elevator reached the lobby.

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Are we talking about the same US Government here?? :hsugh:

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hehe, after all of the shit that these assholes running major corporations do, finding out that anti-virus corporations are funding virus programmers under the covers wouldn't surprise me at all.

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

didn't we discuss this before?

there are 2 kinds of virus/malware writers:

1. the actual 'bad guys' who write malicious code
    2. the so called 'researchers' (often, security firms) who write code to exploit any security holes

when these researches find anything, they'll held a conference to present their findings
    then hw and sw makers update their anti-v or other security products
    then they ask consumers to buy/update these products

they make money either way

14. deusexaethera

Depends on which parts of it you have experience with. The individual bureaucrats probably won't care, but the security guys would shit themselves.