Virus? Adware?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3l_Chupacabra, Aug 20, 2004.

1. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

What's going on here? I'm confused, especially since this computer has only been up and running for a day. I get these "messages" in the form of pop ups that tell me I need to update windows and I should go to patchwindows.org, and any idiot knows that's BS, but I get these when I'm not even surfing the web, if I'm just on AIM, or playing a game, or even if the computer is just idling. Also when I let the computer idle for a long time, when I come back the CPU usage is at 100% when it's normally around 5% to 0%. Also, when I CTRL-ALT-Delete it opens that window, and then it closes itself like half a second later. This also happens with virus scanners, of which I've tried two, Symantec and AVG. It's kinda bugging me and creeping me out since this thing is brand new. Any help would be appriciated.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Go into Control Panel -> Admin. Programs -> Services. Disable the messenger service.

3. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

many thanks, but I still have that weird problem with ctrl-alt-delete how it just goes away right after I open it

4. 3l_Chupacabra

3l_Chupacabra New Member

Also, when I came back to my computer after it was idle for a while today, there was a blank internet explorer window open with some address in it and the title of the blank page was "Sasser Virus"

5. Static Splash

Static Splash New Member

maybe you should try a virus scan :p

you could also download ad-aware (google it) and scan for ad/spyware