Virtual PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, May 17, 2006.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I have VPC installed but haven't used it that much. What do you guys think of it?

I'm rarely home and I'm working on a project that requires a program only available for Windows. There isn't a program with the feature I need for OS X. The project involves encoding hundreds of WAVs into high quality MP3s. My plan is to tell it what to do and let it sit and crunch away.

I've heard some people complain about issues in Virtual PC and I'm wondering if you think this might cause problems. I don't want to spend the time letting it encode everything only to find some problems with the MP3s since I did it under Virtual PC.

I also noticed that when you make a different window active, VPC reports that Windows is "Paused." Does VPC pause the windows session if the OS X screen saver comes on? Or is there a way to turn pausing off?

Thanks for any info.

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I don't like Virtual PC much at all. It's slow, most hardware doesn't work very well, etc. etc... honestly, I would recommend finding some sort of Mac app that will allow you to convert your WAVs into MP3s. It will be quite a bit faster than trying to use Virtual PC

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

I can't find one with the feature I need. I need a program to put the MP3 into the same folder as the source WAV.

I have 100s of WAVs that I have to encode, some with the same track name. I haven't been able to find an OS X program that will keep the MP3 in the same folder as the source. Any recommendations?

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Could you just use the LAME MP3 encoder? It puts the MP3 in the same folder as the WAV. There are Mac OS X and various *ix version available.

5. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

if you would just change your music folder directory temporarily. you could use itunes to do this very easily.

1) change your directory, to say maybe a new folder on the desktop that you create.
    2)empty your playlist (you can do this without deleting your files)
    3)load the .wavs into itunes, select all and hit convert to mp3 @ 192kbps. once you do this you can get up and walk away until its finished.
    4)once they are done converting, just batch tag the mp3s by selecting a group of them and editing their info accordingly.

thats it, very simple.

Last edited: May 18, 2006