Virtual Network Computing questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by guchiew, Jan 12, 2006.

1. guchiew

guchiew Increase your killing power.

I am most concerned with being able to have the mouse move from one desktop to another freely. From what I understand, you can use VNC to type a word document, pause mid-sentence, drive home, connect to that same computer and finish the sentence. But can you use VNC to controll two computers with one keyboard and one mouse? I did a search but came up with nothing.

2. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

From my understanding of VNC, it acts almost like a remote desktop. You can control the computer and use it like you were sittin there. As for controllnig 2 computer, in essence, you could do it. But are these computers in 2 different locations, or are they next to each other? VNC just connects to the pc, so you could connect to PC-a and then when your done, connect to PC-b and do work there. hopefully im sounding reasonable, didnt get much sleep last night :wiggle:

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yes you can. If you do not need remote access and you have two monitors, there is an open source product that allows you to share a KB/Mouse across two (or more actually) computers that have their own monitors. Basically what you do is sit the monitors side by side and you can move the mouse from one computer to the other by just moving it to the other screen. Very cool. Can't think of the name of it but if your interested I'll find it (or someone on here will come up with it).

Personally I'd use RDP over VNC for remote acces if that is an option (the "host" computer you are connecting to needs to be XP Pro). Performance and image quality is better.

Edit: That sofware is called Synergy: http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  4. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

If the computers are next to each other you can use a KVM switch(http://www.provantage.com/zonet-kvm3002~7ZNET007.htm <- thats a cheap one) to use one monitor, mouse and keyboard to control two computers. There are larger sized ones if you need more. THats another option you can consider.

5. guchiew

guchiew Increase your killing power.

Thanks guys. I believe that is what I was looking for. I am going to have my laptop next to my PC. I was worried about having to use remote access because I read that it is a big security risk.