Virtual Memory??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Akicita, May 23, 2004.

1. Akicita

Akicita New Member

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the virtual memory on my computer? I just got a little display that said something about my virtual memory was too low and to adjust it :o :hs:

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

If in Windows XP: right click My Computer, properties, advanced tab, under performance click Settings, click the advanced tab again, and down at the bottom click change.

3. Akicita

Akicita New Member

Thank you :big grin: But you know a good setting? The initial size was 382MB and it says maximum is 1024MB, so I just put up to 500 :o Should I put up to 800 or so? I suck at computers :hs:

Will this fix my moms computer problem? I noticed it runs real slow. It's a 2.6 P4 with 256mb ram and it runs super slow :o I defrag'd the HD and ran checks for spyware. I also ran Norton to look for virus' and such but nothing. Everything seems fine, it just runs slow. I have a 2.2 P4 with 512mb of ram and it blows this computer away. I know that its probably because mine has 512mb and this one has 256mb. But I hope this helps just a little :o

Last edited: May 23, 2004
  4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

check the number of processes running on each computer (ctrl-alt-del and select the "processes" tab). the one running slower may have a lot of unnecessary services. use start > run > msconfig to remove unused startup processes and disable unneeded services in start > control panel > administrative tools > services. here is a guide to what each service does and whether you need it.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp/disableservices.htm

5. Akicita

Akicita New Member