SRS Virginia Tech Shooting... Guns are not cool

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JustJeff, Apr 16, 2007.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Hey Hey guys. I'm actually sitting inside of one of the academic buildings here at Virginia Tech on the floor on my laptop with hundreds of cops on campus with M16's, M4's, MP5's, and handguns. There was a shooting here on campus and I'm not allowed to leave the building. Actually, they just walked into the building. I don't know what's going on.

This is scary shit. There's about 7 cops with MP5's. I have never seen so much crap in my life. I saw 4 people that had been shot taken away in an ambulance, completely covered in blood. I was only about 20 feet away. There's a swat team in here now... I don't know what's going on.

I saw a lifeless body carried out of a building by 4 cops aas they walked away from Norris Hall, the location of the shootings. 1 person has died, 8 people had been wounded. I don't know why all the cops are in here... I hope nothing else is going on.

After checking the news, there have been more casualties, almost 8.

Trust me guys: if you have not been in this kind of situation: No matter how cool or fun it is to play with guns or anything like that, when you get told that there is a shooter on campus running wild shooting random people by a cop with an m16, it's a reality check.

This is just a warning for all of you: Please don't ever let yourselves get into this kind of position where you need to take frustration, anger, or any other negative feelings out on other people. My life is changing right before my eyes, and I've never been so scared in my life.

Being 600 miles away from home doesn't help the situation either...

Make sure that you tell the people you love that you do love them, because you never know when that opportunity will be ripped away from you.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I was going to quote one or your posts and say "hey no classes for you"...

What happened out there is fucking crazy.

So I hear that the police are looking for 1 more shooter, if they have not found s/he already. They already aressted one I believe if I remember hearing this correctly.

They also said on the news that if your living on campus stay away from windows and etc. because they have been picking people off through windows.

That's some crazy shit. Stay safe and keep us updated on the details.

I also believe that the schools website has shut down completely and is using the home page for like a update type thing.

3. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

that's crazy man, sad sad times when stuff like this happens. No justification whatsoever.

4. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I was literally in shock when I got on the internet this morning and saw this story. Stay safe, keep us updated if you can, and it really is a shitty situation when things like this happen.

5. Pringles

Pringles New Member

ya not cool. I've never been a fan of guns, but you can't really argue against those that want to shoot targets for fun. Sadly some take guns to a new level and harm our own race. Hope you stay protected and secure. I can't imagine what your thinking of going through, but Id be pretty scared. God speed.

6. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I just heard about this. I can't believe at a college.

7. JustJeff

Here is the update as I know it:

32 people are dead - 30 from the Norris hall shooting (2nd), 1 from the West AJ shooting (1st shooting), and the suspected shooter is dead.

There are at least 20 that are still being treated for wounds... these numbers can rise.

The school is in lock down, we're advised to leave... since I don't have anywhere to stay i don't think that's possible.

Class is cancelled tomorrow for an investigation... I will not be leaving the dorm.

The two shootings are expected to be by the same person, however it's unrealistic that it is since they are 3 hours apart...

THE CAMPUS DID NOT GIVE A WARNING AT 7:30 THIS MORNING THAT THERE WAS A SHOOTING SO EVERYONE WENT TO CLASS AS IF NOTHING HAD HAPPENED.

^^ that's what is scaring the shit out of me. I was in McBride, which is right adjacent to Norris.. i was about to leave the building but a cop had motioned for us to all go back inside... I was watching from the 6th floor window as they carried lifeless bodies out of Norris, as well as watching SWAT teams enter the building.

I'm scared shitless right now, and extremely shaken. When you see something like this happen infront of you, it changes you. Please don't make the same mistakes that this guy has.

8. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:hug: Prayers and positive thoughts to you and your friends.
    Godspeed man. :hug:

9. DiggityDogg

DiggityDogg Guest

I saw this thread earlier this morning and didn't read it because I thought it was just some random person talking about guns, I had no clue you're actually there. WOW. Scary stuff man, I am really glad that you are okay... Crazy. I just don't get how some people can do this. I don't think I have bone in my body that could force me to kill a bunch of innocent people and I don't get how someone could do this.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

What about that timeframe makes it unreaslistic?

11. 7960

7960 New Member

From last year:

Gun bill gets shot down by panel - Roanoke.com - link

Gun bill gets shot down by panel

HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.

By Greg Esposito
    381-1675

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

12. SoFlaJDM

SoFlaJDM Guest

that would have stopped the shooting

13. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

I'll bet he's wishing right now that someone had been carrying a gun when this psycho started shooting people.

14. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

:hug: I've been asleep all day because I'm sick, so I just heard about the shooting an hour ago, which I guess makes it old news. It's so awful, and it made me realize shit like that can happen anywhere. My school is big and pretty much in a quiet, middle of nowhere town. I have a few friends at VA Tech, so I guess I should track them down and see if they're ok.

To the OP - I hope you're doing a little better. I would be scared as hell and emotional, but just stay strong and stick together with your classmates.

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

This is the complexity of something like this. The shooter could have gotten guns illegally anywhere if he wanted one and a ban/laws against guns on campus wouldn't have stopped him, yet someone with a concealed weapons permit could have had the chance to stop him from killing more than he did. It wouldn't have been a guarantee that he would have been stopped, but the chances would have been much much greater than him killing unchallenged until he ran out of ammo or victims.

It should also be a wake up call to those who think that if you just do what the person orders you to, then you will be safe and that the police will protect you. This is how it is unfortunately. Police aren't there to protect you, they are there to pick up the pieces and giving in isn't a guarantee that the criminal will leave you alone.

Unfortunately with as much emotion running now, this will outweigh the logic yet again. There will probably be a bigger call for banning of guns and put even more people who think they are safe into situations where they have no way to defend themselves while the criminals who already ignore the laws will just have more laws to ignore as well as more people they know are less capable of defending themselves.

It's a sad day all around, for the students who died, for the students and faculty who lived through it and for the nation who will undoubtably see a new push to remove one of the most important rights we have.

16. JustJeff

Just an update for all you who might be following this story.

Confirmed names of fatalities:

1. Ryan Clark (The RA at West AJ)
    2. Henry Lee (A fellow Computer Engineering Freshman)
    3. Leslie Sherman (Lived 2 doors down from one of my best friends...)
    4. Mary Read
    5. Emily Hilscher
    6. Dr. GV Loganathan (G.V. Loganathan, professor of civil and environmental engineering, has received one of the University's three Wine Awards for Excellence in Teaching "may 2006". He was one of the best)
    7. Juan Ortiz

17. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I can't believe this happened..especially at a school where friends attend :(

so ironic that I happened to put on my VA Tech sweatshirt today :wtc:

I can't fathom what is going through someone's mind when they are shooting people.

18. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

:uh: yeah that worked real well. How can they feel safe when they have no way to protect themselves? This incident just proved that you can't rely on the school or police to protect you, you have to do your best to protect yourself.

19. johan

johan Active Member

A lot of people are really concrete thinkers. They can't see the forest because all the trees are blocking the view.

20. SlvrCivLT621

SlvrCivLT621 New Member

I went to high school with Mary...she was just a freshman :(
    [​IMG]

21. MementoVivre

MementoVivre like the cat...

Hey, to JustJeff, I'm happy to know you're at least alive. I'm sorry for what you experienced today, I was horrified by it and it was the first news story I heard this morning.

As a child, I was 20 feet away from a small one on one shooting and I know the terror it creates when you're wondering if the next bullet is going to hit you or someone you know. 20 years later I'm still terrified of anything that sounds like gunfire. You actually seem to be taking it as well as you can, and I admire that, even though I know the full shock of this level of shooting problably hasn't fully sunk in yet.

The biggest questions I have are:
    1) Was the shooter a student and if not how did he gain access to the dorms?

and 2) With all the previous school shootings, why isn't there a nationwide policy that any shooting on or near any campus violates the no-gun policies, and means automatic grounds for immediate permanent lock down, at least till the shooter is found. If this happened at my college, that's what I would expect - no school for a week, if necessary, lives just aren't worth it. If someone in charge at the college had considered this, it would have lessened the likelyhood that the rest would have gotten shot after the first two victims. Also, campus security does need access to and training for use of various weapons, for situations like this. I disagree with students having weapons because too many people at my local colleges get drunk and stupid too often (sorry it's true). All around, with the lack of communication as to the first shooting, and the lack of access to weapons among campus security my only statement is that ignorance is no way to run an educational institution.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of everyone involved.

22. JustJeff

I'm not sure if the shooter is on campus. I don't have access to Emily's facebook page to see the cache of who her boyfriend was... so that I could identify who the killer is.

However, it is very likely that he got in the dorm by waiting for someone to come to the door. We are usually very lax with allowing people to come into the dorms, and if we see someone outside who wants to come in, we usually let them in without thinking about it.

Virginia Tech is a money grunging campus. Shutting down the campus would mean hundreds of thousands dollars down the drain for the campus on trying to lock it down. The officials hoped that it was just some isolated incident that was completely unrelated to anything because it was a domestic dispute (boyfriend and girlfriend in an arguement). There was no reason to believe that he would go on a rampage. This assumption was truely fatal.

The officials did a great job of communicating everything and getting everyone that was close to harms way out of the way and in to safety. however, those inside the building were mostly left to protect themselves, and this is why the casualty rate was so high.

it's really sad to think this has happened here, and I'm still in shock. I don't think i'm getting any sleep tonight.

23. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

So you think students would have brought their guns to class with them? And that doing that is a good idea? :ugh:

24. mrchina

mrchina Guest

What the heck makes you think it's a bad idea? :rolleyes:

Newsflash! Not all people that own guns are going to go on a violent killing spree!

25. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think there's a great misconception under the general audiance who think that students are just happily studying, while in reality there's a great amount of students who are downright dead unhappy, especially if your a bad student and your constantly forced to get good grades and are unable to provide these, a lot of frustration and anger can build up.

And every now and then they will say 'fuck it!" grab a gun(which is unfortunatly available) and start a massacare on those individuals who brought them frustration. Teachers because they are the ones who provide them with the studying pressure, and fellow students because in a sort of jealousy that they are able to deal with the studying pressure. That boy or girl that you always envied with his/her good studying results now leaving with a bullet in his/her head is an exellent way to express your frustration.

Of course its never justified what people like this have done. But i think that students should be better helped with the frustrations that school gives them instead of thinking and living in the utopia that school is an all in always happy place for everyone and aknowledge that besides teaching students also need life guidance and need to learn life lessons from life teachers to help them deal with frustrations and understand their position in life and in school,a school should also be able to spot disturbed individuals by asking them questions about home and their home situation to get an idea if disturbing or dangerous elements are taking place at home, or in their lives so they can take early measures and provide strayed off students councelling, this in order to try to prevent a massacare like this from happening.

As long as frustrated students aren't spotted and dealt with in an early stage, its only a matter of time before the next disturbed and frustrated student will grab an Uzi in his left arm and a shotgun in his right arm to display his frustration in a form of bullets or maby even grenade explosives on the teachers and students on campus.

If things don't change, then this definitly won't be the last school shooting that we'll see.