GUN Virginia crew: I will be joining you soon v.Navy Band

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ebtromba, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

After I’m done with boot camp anyway. A couple days ago I auditioned for and won a trumpet position with the US Navy band in Washington, DC. About 35 people showed up to the audition for 1 job. I’m leaving grad school and will enter at pay grade E-6, with my official rank being Musician First Class. In the Army and Marines, this is the same as Staff Sergeant. http://www.princetonreview.com/cte/articles/military/paygrades.asp

Needless to say I am quite pleased.

Although I’ll be working in the White House, Pentagon (I’ll soon have white house security clearance:noes: :cool:) , Arlington National Cemetery, etc, my official residence will be likely be in Virginia. I know nothing of Virginia’s gun laws. Educate me. Can you CCW? (also, how does CCW work when one is active duty military?) Anything else I should know? What restrictions if any does Virginia have that stick out?

And any band nerds/college music majors turned military musicians on OT?

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

I haven't played much in the past few years...I'd kind of like to get my chops back.

Bari Sax btw. :cool:

No guns in DC:mamoru:

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Your PMO will inform you what is acceptable methods of transport. Forget about it on base, any federal installation, or the area of D.C.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

live in VA and you can ccw and OC :coold:

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

sweet. I just saw it on opencarry.org, where it is listed as a "gold star" state.

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

yes I know no guns in DC. will live in virginia. :bigthumb:

you totally should play again. I think you'd really enjoy it. alot of adults will become "comeback" players, due to finding their old instrument in the closet, or a child or grandchild starts to play an instrument or what have you. it can really enrich your life, and study after study has shown it makes you smarter.

just please don't say "well I played guitar hero...."

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

word. obviously I won't carry while on duty or in DC.

mainly wanted to know if Virginia had any ghey illinois/kalifornia-like restrictions. sounds like I'm in the clear.

8. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

werd. open carry's forums are big in VA. we are a pretty good state for it. if you are going to OC, invest in a digital tape recorder. you WILL have runins with ignorant LEO's.

but applying for your CCW is pretty easy, 45 days. the NRA range is nice to shoot at IMO. that is where i typically go :coold:

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

cool, cool. thanks for the info, maybe I'll see you there someday. till then, I have alot of running around, jumping over shit, and folding sheets to do..:wavey: