videocard help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by L-B-Z, Mar 19, 2008.

1. L-B-Z

L-B-Z New Member

sup guys.I,m a digital painter but i happen to not know alot about whats under the hood of my computer.I need to upgrade my system so i want to get some more ram and a new videocard.i guess the videocard is pretty elementary but i know shit about videocards.

I have an hp a1700n desktop.
    i want to spend under 200 on it if possible.what is the best card i can get for that price.pretty much i just want my system to move faster when i am running flash,pscs3,ilcs3,3-d max,etc.

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/2G - Retail

this is the ram i am getting.is it good enough?

thanx in advance to anyone that can help.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Well, to help you find the best vid card for you it would help if you told us what you use your computer for.

Also that RAM would be fine

3. L-B-Z

L-B-Z New Member

oh well i,m a digital painter.I do enviormental art for videogames.up until like last month i worked on site but now that i work from home,i need my system to perform like the one at the office.I run painter,flash,photoshop and 3-d max mostly and it slows down pretty bad sometimes.

4. L-B-Z

L-B-Z New Member

anyone?

5. L-B-Z

L-B-Z New Member

*bump*

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I don't know much about the ATI side of the story, but as far as nVidia, get what you can afford.

What I hear is 8800GT > 9600GT > 8600GT. Or you could wait a few months till new shit comes out and get it or get these when (if) prices drop.

Either way, I assume your going to be using it for quite some time so its really just what your budget says. I don't know how heavily those apps you use would really require too much in the way of GPU power though. Any 8xxx or 9xxx card would probably be a significant upgrade from what you currently have.

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I believe gaming cards will do fine, but I do hear that OpenGL or workstation graphics cards are better for 3d max.
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=449&name=Workstation-Graphics

That Kingston is generic ram. I haven't checked the prices for DDR2 667, but you could try one with a much lower cas latency. lower cas latency = less time to fetch data.

for the things you do,.... consider a quad core in your future upgrade. this is where quads kicks ass.

8. L-B-Z

L-B-Z New Member

thanx alot guys.i really appreciate the help.

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Do you normally render 3DS max scenes that take multiple hours to finish? If you do get a professional graphics card like the nVidia Quadro line...

If not a gaming card will work just fine

This thing is a beast: http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html