videocard heating question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stilgar1973, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I bought a (linky-> BFG OC 8800 GTX <-linky) a couple years ago when it was new.

To this day I (almost) couldn't be happier with it.
    I can't believe how this card has kept up with the times. I can run Dragon Age Origins, Dirt 2 at 2048 * (sumpin) with AA on.

However I have one small problem.

Recently we have moved the computer into a cabinet and the ventilation isn't what it once was.
    I have done everything I can think of to get ventilation into a hard to ventilate spot.

When we first put the PC in the cabinet gaming was undoable, but I got it back to almost 100 percent.

However every once in a while I still have issues with heat. Most recently was 2 days ago when I was playing a Dirt marathon.

So I got curious, I got on Newegg and I found out that prices have been dropping out of the floor on video cards.

To me it looks like I can get a new card for $130 that is every bit as good as the one I have in my PC.

My question is thus:

Does anyone think that a new card will run cooler then the one I have now.

What I really need is a card that dumps less heat into my case, but performs at least to the level of the one I have in it now. I would think that my card being a couple years old this would be doable.

But I don't really know.

Any suggestions?
  2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    I haven't kept up with new video cards but I was in the same boat as you in early 2009. All my games (COD mainly) played fine and I really didn't want to shell out $$ for somehting I wouldn't notice. Ended up putting this cooler on my eVGA 8800GT.

I had an old 120mm fan lying around so I zip tied it to the S1. I can't remember the specifics (and I haven't gamed in months :wtc:) but my temps dropped ~30 degrees or more. It was drastic and sooooo much quieter.

Edit - just noticed you have aGTX. I don't think what I linked will work on that card. Sry.