Videocard and Computer freeze up problems. please help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by m4m4 l0n9, Feb 11, 2010.

1. m4m4 l0n9

m4m4 l0n9 Active Member

My specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
    q6600
    3gs memory
    500gs hard drive
    9800GTX
    PSU: 375W

So my computer has been freezing (always forced to turn off pc) when I'm not active on it. It acts as if it went to sleep and can't be woken back up! I have everything set to NEVER for power save options. I have no anti-virus programs running. I've got Ccleaner and had Malowarebytes but it kept crashing so I uninstalled it.

For my videocard issue I noticed I was out of date so I go to Nvidia website to get update driver and when I try to install it, it stops like 1/3 of the way!! Every time!!! I have rebooted the computer plenty of times, forced to turn off the pc plenty of times as well. Right now I'm running a VGA Standard Graphics card. However, my resolution is 1440x800. I thought VGA is usually 800x600 automatically?

Whenever my PC freezes and I turn off and on I always see this in dos:

No boot device available -
    Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.
    Press F5 to run on-board diagnostics.

I ran diagnostics and it shows no errors BUT sometimes it does and here is the error it shows:

Error code 0147
    Msg: Error code 2000-0147
    Msg: Unit 0: Optical drive BIST - - spindle test failed.

I'm always having to F5 in dos now to get back to my desktop, it takes like 15 tries it seems sometimes. I swear my computer has a mind of its own.

Any kind of help would be nice. Thank you.

2. m4m4 l0n9

m4m4 l0n9 Active Member

Something very strange just happened. It's like something you see out of a movie. A big flash of blue light just came from my monitor and my mouse pointer went from arrow to busy and my computer frozed up, again.

3. m4m4 l0n9

m4m4 l0n9 Active Member

I'm trying AVG 9 and when my computer seemed to want to freeze up it seems as if AVG is preventing it to doing so. It could just be my imagination though but there was a couple of freeze up's that usually force me to reboot but it resumed back rather quickly.

4. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Might be hard drive death.

5. modspace

modspace New Member

Might be death of a lot of stuff.
    Check for blown capacitors on all your hardware.