A&P Video pros...a career question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Climbing Cracker, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

I'm working for a small TV studio as their Production Manager. Actually, I'm the only person that does the productions. We recently got bought out and it's up in the air if I'm staying. The market for video production is small here, but we have some remarkable production houses. Since this is my first job out of college, I'm packing all of 6 months professional experience. I know there is still a ton to learn and I'm eager.

If I lose this job, would it be more beneficial to try to be mentored/intern or what? Obviously, if I find another production job, I'll take it. How did you learn, other than experimentation? I learn quicker under instruction, but I've learned a lot just experimenting.

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I learned most of what I know by on the job experience. I'd suggest that you take a look at trying to land a job at a larger TV station. It's going to be tough to get a job at a production company without several years of experience AND a killer reel.

3. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

Working with a team would greatly benefit me. If I stay on with this station, the buyer has a much larger production department. So, I'll be excited for that opportunity.

Looking at the production companies here, even the lower end people have ~5-8 years of experience.