Video Problems (.mpg and .mpeg) playback

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redrumkev, Jul 11, 2005.

1. redrumkev

redrumkev New Member

I completed a fresh install of Win XP pro on my machine about 2 months ago. I installed the lastest drivers for everything on my computer and also installed windows media player 10. When I play back .mpg or .mpeg files, they look pixelated and grainy, with an overall "bleached out" appearance in color. When I play these same files on other computer, that is connected over my LAN, they play fine. The files are a collection of music videos and various funny clips that I have recieved via e-mail over the past 5-6 years. I did not create any of these myself, so the issue has nothing to do with capture or encoding.

So far, I have rolled back to windows media player 9, tryed installing new codec's (divx), and basically am stuck now.

These files worked fine before the install, and honestly, I do not remember if they did not work right after the install, I just recently saw the problem.

My system stats:

DFI board- infinity nforce 2
    AMD 2500+
    1 gig PC400 DDR RAM
    Geforce 6800 (Asus V9999) Ultra - 256mb RAM
    System runs cool - 41.5 C degrees maximum on CPU, never overheated
    Games and everything else run perfectly.
    Graphics in game play flawlessly, no artifacts or anything at all to complain about.

I get the same problem when I play the video's in realplayer, so I believe the issue is now either with the codec's installed on my system or it has to be a conflict?

I have the newest Nvidia Drivers, I tried rolling them back to a perivous version with no success.

Thought this info might help?!?!?

The playback basically has a "haze" or "halo", which means watching clicks unbearable! Any thoughts?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

is the "overlay gamma" set too high in the display settings?

3. redrumkev

redrumkev New Member

overlay gamma was set at 1.00, I tried adjusting it, which had no change on the video output, at least it didn't make things better, just made the rest of the screen look bad.