Video: Pikes Peak hill climb with a 600hp MONSTER!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DAMIEN, Oct 14, 2002.

DAMIEN Guest

Dear lord. Check out this crazy mofo as he drives his 600 hp Peugeot 405 T16 up the Pikes Peak hill! It's like real life Gran Turismo! The guy is a former world champion in rally, Ari Vatanen (from Finland.)

This shit takes 67 megs, but I can assure you it's worth loading if you're into fast rally clips!

It's better if you right-click the link and save as target onto your desktop.
  2. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Oct 7, 2001
    He won the event his first time out, setting the track record that still stands today.

And then the event organizers told him to never come back.

How freaking :Owned: is that?

Ari Vatanen is also the driver who had the famous quote:

"In road racing, you see one turn a thousand times. In rallying, you see a thousand turns one time....."

Vatanen won the WRC championship in 81 driving for Ford, the only Ford driver to ever win the driver's title. He also won 10 WRC events during his career, not to mention dozens of non-WRC rallies.
  3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Actually Ari's record fell back in 1993. But stood for 5 years in a time of great technological advances in racing.

Here are the list of records...

For those that dont want to is the last three.

1988 Rally Ari Vatanen Peugeot 405 Turbo 10:47.22
    1993 OW Paul Dallenbach Davis Chevrolet 10:43.63
    Current Record
    1994 UNL Rod Millen Toyota Celica SuperSportTurbo 10:04.06

Rod tried to break the 10:00 barier in his Toyota Tacoma, and was on track to do so in 2000...untill his engine blew 15 miles into the climb...leaving Rod in tears on the side of the road. Oddly enough, that same year Monstar Tajima's Suzuki Escudo/Gran Vitara refused to start, and he missed the time control to start. Leaving the overall winner of the event driving an Saab 9-5 Aero. Go figure. But after 2000 Toyota was pulling out its sponsership of hill climbing, and the multi million dollar Tacoma "truck" was retired to TRD's garage as a show piece.

But...anyway, great of my personal favorites.
  4. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

Wasn't it actually only very loosely a SAAB? Longitudinal 900hp engine (but mostly SAAB bits) with a huge turbo, AWD, fancy differentials, and sequential transmission?
  5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, it was a preaty imporessive beast...but it was still mostly Saab...

Peak Ecopower Saab 9-3 Viggen:

Engine · Original Saab engine block and cylinder head. Engine tuned by Trollspeed of Trollhättan. Longitudinally mounted, four-cylinder, 16-valve with twin overhead camshafts
    · Garrett turbocharger with intercooler (3.0 bar or 42.8 psi)
    · Displacement: 2.0 liters
    · Bore/stroke: 92/77 mm
    · Compression ratio: 9.0:1

HP Rating

750 HP at 8,000 rpm
    Peak torque: 518 lb.-ft. at 6,500 rpm

Four-wheel drive with programmable active differentials and six-speed Prodrive gearbox
    Weight: 2,090 lbs.
    0 - 60 mph: 2.3 seconds
    Top speed: 155 mph

But even still, its got ALOT of stock, factory Saab parts on it.
    But even still, i dont think that the Hill CLimb Saab was as crazy as the one they used in the Race of Champions at the Gran Canaria.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2002
  6. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

Hmmm...interesting. Pretty impressive car...thanks for the info.
  7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Of course the Yellow is the 600 BHP, Canarias:ROC car, and the red is the PPIHC car, if you didnt pick up on that.

Your welcome for the info.
  8. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

Sep 14, 2001
    Amazing how so many years later people are still oohing and aahing over the Climb Dance video. I remember seeing that years and years ago when my dad brought it home on vhs.