GUN Video of an IPSC match from a different perspective/how we score targets, etc

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Oct 29, 2009.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

Question I hear a lot from non competitors is how we go about scoring, and how we do we know if we hit anything. This is a 1st person view of me being the Range Officer for a couple of Grand Master shooters I shoot with. Yong Lee, 4 gun grandmaster and the Chief Firearms Instructor for the Bellevue PD, SVI sponsored shooter. And Bobby McGee, Director, sales for Blade Tech and 3 gun Grand Master, Smith and Wesson sponsored shooter.

After I run them through the course of fire, I unload them and then go to each target, followed by my score keeper and score each target.

[y]
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RokUOci66rM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RokUOci66rM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    [/y]

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Each "Metric" target has 4 "scoring zones". And points are based on wether your division recognizes "major" or "Minor" scoring.

Major Scoring:
    A= 5 points
    B= 4
    C= 4
    D= 2

Minor Scoring:
    A= 5
    B= 3
    C= 3
    D= 1

As you can see, you have an advantage shooting "major" powerfactor. This should offset the additional recoil versus "Minor". If you miss it all together, you earn a "M" aka "Mike" which is when you miss the target all together.

Most COF's will require 2 shots per target, so each target has a potential of 10 points each.

The name of the game in USPSA is to get the "most points" in the fastest amount of time. To score a COF we add up highest available points, minus out any procedurals/penalties and divide that by your time. What we come up with is what we call a "Hitfactor". The highest Hitfactor wins the stage, and the stage points.

In a normal match, there is usually a minimum of 6 stages, but I've been known to host 7-9 stages at my matches.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Good idea AB.

4. When he keeps saying 2, 2, 2 he means 2 alpha, it's informal, but everyone knows what it means so it's not a problem. If it weren't an alpha he'd call out the name.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

What's Yong shooting with?

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yong shoots a CZ Sp01 Shadow in 9mm.