Video Game Programming Career

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kax01, Aug 31, 2007.

1. kax01

kax01 New Member

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in the video game programming field. At the moment I'm a freshman in college and desperately trying to find information on what's required to get a foot in the door, as well as how profitable the reality of the job is; things such as degrees, certifications, emphasis etc...the crucial aspects.

If anyone could offer some helpful tips and/or allow me to pick their brain for some research, I would be much obliged.

Thanks! =)

2. eof

eof New Member

Programming is not the best thing to get into at this point....if you are dead set on being involved in game development I would suggest angling towards being a project manager. That way even if you find game development to get old after a while (which I bet you will since you are young now and I am guessing interested in games....you won't be forever)....PM experience translates well to any industry (even if it isn't software development)

Also you are not stuck behind a desk 24/7 as a PM.

3. mrj

mrj New Member

Chances are you'll end up programming for a bank for the next 20 years and never go near the gaming field.

Not to mention programming is something easily outsourced.

4. eof

eof New Member

I would ping these guys and ask the same question....

http://www.hb-studios.com/

It is a small operation that does some high profile (EA work) games. A lot of them went to my college and I am guessing you would get an honest response.

5. eof

eof New Member

6. kax01

kax01 New Member

What about specialization? Physics systems etc?