video editing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by diesel, Aug 14, 2005.

1. diesel

diesel Guest

I am thinking about purchasing a new mobo and chip but I am not for sure what I wanna get.. AMD or Intel?!! Everyone is saying Intel but I don't know what chip would be good to get.. Any ideas?!?1 Basically I want to use it to rip videos from DVD's and be able to shrink them down or edit them.. Or take videos from my Tivo and do editing on that as well... I hate LAG!!!

2. jdiggity

jdiggity New Member

it all depends on your setup, what hardware are you running now?

3. diesel

diesel Guest

emachine... junk... trashing it cause the mobo burned up.. so i am starting from scratch with

2x 300GB WD 7200 rpm drives
    ATI All In Wonder Pro 9800
    Plextor 716A DVD Burner
    48x CD writer
    SB Live something...

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

If I recall correctly the AMD 64 beat out Intel even in the video encoding catagory. So if I were you I would be going with that. It might be a while yet, but when the video editing programs support 64 bit they will fly too.

5. jrwfz5

jrwfz5 New Member

If you have a good system in general, editing vid wont be that much of a problem. I mean some componets make it a little easier but Im guessing you dont want to build a system that is strictly used for vid editing. I have a 2.4 ghz intel p4 w/ a gig of 3200 ram, and I can rip, edit dvd's just fine. I also havea canon digtal vid camera i can rip vids from and edit and that works fine as well.

People flip out out proc speeds on encoding and processing but a good sytem for a casual person that isnt doing it for their job can use a non exp system to do the job just about as well for lots of $$$ less.