Video editing noob questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kmad86, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

So I have a HD Sony camera that is the MiniDV. Anyways, back a few years ago I had attempted to put some of the footage on my old iMac G5 but it was like 4 minutes in and had 3GB used up already. What's a good video editing program to use for a rook like myself, and how do I bring the video to the computer without the files being insanely large? I would love to put all of my footage on a few dvds, but I don't know how to compress it.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

basic: imovie
    moderate: final cut express
    advanced: final cut pro

Video eats space like it's candy, especially HD video... it's just the nature of the beast... no real way around that...

best you can do, is edit the video and then export a video in h264 and delete the raw media once you're done... (keep the tapes though)
    also create a dvd while you're at it...

3. robwormald

robwormald New Member

import video natively - keep it in DV, that's the best for editing

you'll probably outgrow imovie pretty quickly if you're at all technical.

if you're going to be doing any multitrack (ie, 2+ cameras shooting the same scene) get final cut pro. it's expensive though.

final cut express is a good place to start - easy enough to get efficient in. much cheaper...if you're going to download all the software anyway, get final cut studio and go nuts.

get a big external hard drive, fw800 if your mac has got it, 400 if not. should be less than $100. saves your internal HDD space

you can do what's called offline editing - if you keep your original DV source - export out to a lower quality version for faster editing (especially on your g5) - when you've got a good final product you can export the same sequences from the original quality source.

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/applefinalcutbasics is a GREAT place to start

4. kmad86

kmad86 Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09 OT Supporter

Now I am on an i7 iMac. I have 1TB HD, and 3TB externals. Space isn't an issue, but it becomes an issue when I want to put it all on a DVD. All I really want to do is take a bunch of old random videos that I have taken and put them on DVD. Just one camera.

BTW, I have Final Cut Studio that was a friends. I think it's the educational license, but it has all the books and shit. I installed it but it blows me away, I don't even know where to begin.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

http://www.apple.com/support/finalcutstudio/

If you're trying to backup raw media to dvd, you'll be burning dvd after dvd after dvd...

if you just want clips, just convert everything to h264 and burn a bunch on a disc

if you want a dvd with naviagation, you'll need to:
    • Capture / edit using Final Cut
    • Convert to a dvd format in Compressor
    • Create disc using DVD Studio Pro