Video Decoding Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Jan 25, 2004.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

Well i posted about this awhile back and go no responses really that worked but last night it just pissed me off (me and the girlfriend were trying to watch a dvd on my computer and it said "decoder cannot be found" or "unsuitable decompressor" or something like that)...had to end up running it off the laptop mirroring the display on my monitor

anyways, just about all of my movie files/tv shows etc. will not play in windows media player...they also wouldn't play in any other program i downloaded (usually gave some error about the file being corrupt etc.) so they used to play in divx player only...well i read about people having problems with divx 5.1.1 so i tried to download 5.05 and install that...well halfway through the installation, it gives me one of those errors where i can generate an error report...so i try to uninstall what has installed of that and then tried installing it again...same result...tried rebooting...same result...so i tried installing 5.1.1 and now this is doing the same thing to me...except when i click close for the error box on 5.1.1, the install keeps going and seems to finish...but divx player won't open anymore

so now the only player i have found to play any of my stuff is BSPlayer but even then while it is opening every one of my files, it says that it is corrupt and video seeking may be slow...meaning i can't have a playlist because i will just have to click to ok button after every single video (and i looked for an option to turn this off but couldn't find it)

i know these files aren't corrupt...they all used to play fine in every media player i used

last night i tried every player i had to play the dvd...windows media player got audio but a very green/yellow look all over the screen for video...even when i tried to skip chapters

there are still a few of my videos that probably aren't encoded in any sort of divx or other new format that will play in media player but they are rare

what can i do? as i've said, divx for some reason refuses to install anymore...i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling graphics card drivers

this is on a home built p4 2.4ghz, 1 gig of ram, geforce 4 64mb...let me know if there is any other info you need to know

2. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

3. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

have you tried nvdvd?

4. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

try uninstalling divx in safe mode - divx player sucks ass

download gspot - this will tell you if there is anything wrong with your files, as well as which codecs it will use to play them. If you have multiple codecs listed, you can have problems with them interfereing with each other

try to get rid of all your codecs (well, all the unneeded ones), then download ffdshow - this is the best codec pack out... way better than nimo, etc

if you want to see what codecs you have (or remove some of them):
    right-click my computer -> properties -> hardware tab -> device manager -> view -> devices by connection -> right-click audio codecs or video codecs -> properties -> properties tab

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

so are you reccomending that i delete all of the video compression codecs and all of the audio compression codecs? the files are fine according to gspot, but it won't render them...

k here is an example...its a simpsons episode, freshly downloaded...plays just fine on my laptop and when i try to play it in bsplayer (as that is the only player that currently even works right now, it gives me the error that it is corrupt)

stat: full length correct
    type: opendml.avi
    immr: 1.00
    i/l 1 vid frame (33ms) Split: yes

comments/metadata
    code name contents
    junk (ascii in junk chunk) virtualdub build 13870
    junk (ascii in junk chunk) release

video
    codec
    4cc: div3
    name: divx 3 low-motion
    stat: 3 compatible codecs installed (more info...)
    more info: ffdshow mpeg-4 video decoder
    divx decoder filter
    divx decoder filter

(now on a side note, both of the divx decoder filters said i was missing the file dixdec.ax from c:\windows\system32...so i went online, downloaded the file and put it in there...now it won't come up with that error, but gspot says directshow render is failing giving me the following error: DirectShow was unable to render the file. Following is the error it reported

0x80040265 VFW_E_UNSUPPORTED_STREAM - Cannot play back the file. The format not supported.)

what should i do now? should i delete all the codecs? or is this some other problem?

6. shastaisforwinners

hmm... I'm not sure then. I just tried to remove all of my video codecs for the hell of it, but windows apparently doesn't like me doing that :)

I would check out www.doom9.org forums - search / post on there, I'm sure someone knows what to do

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i only removed all the codec packs i had installed within the add/remove programs list...of course for some reason this decided to offset my video card...so when i rebooted i was staring at a 640x480 screen with 4 bit color...uninstalled/reinstalled video card and that was working fine, except now everytime i bootup into xp, the "loading personal settings" box hangs

i did some searching online and i found the problem was directx...i kinda assumed that from it not being able to render directshow...after i installed directx, this worked

current problems with the computer...the hanging personal settings box is the only new one...if i don't get any responses for these in here, i'll make another thread

1st problem) loading personal settings box at windows xp startup hangs for 30 seconds to 1 minute...before today it would basically come on and off the screen and bootup instantly...now it is just there for awhile for no apparent reason

2nd problem) a friend installed some windows xp icon pack...but apparently this icon pack was for windows 98 so it could have xp looking icons and transparency...well when i uninstalled this program, my transparency on the desktop icons is gone...i have not found a way to bring this back so right now i'm running a small windows 98 program at startup to get the icon background text to be transparent...any help on this would also be very appreciated

3rd problem) i have an 80gig master and a 200 gig slave...since win xp doesn't recognize over 136gigs, i have to use an ide card and use their software to set up the drive...but i had just formatted my entire machine around that time so i don't remember if i setup the drives within windows setup first and then partitioned them using the wester digital program...but anyways, i tried to use the western digial program to format the drives and then partition them...now my 200gig drive has magically gone from 4 50gig drives (how i set it up using the western digital software) to its current 2 50 gig drives, and a 6 gig drive and a ton of unallocated space

when i go into the western digital program, i have to format and partition, i cannot just partition

i don't have the backup space right now...i have 1 of the 50 gig partitons full (starting filling it before i even noticed...if this had even happened before)...anyways, my 80 gig is full also

any help would be greatly appreciated

8. shastaisforwinners

1. here's one person that has a similar problem: http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread/t-20756.html

2. no idea man, sorry :(

3. as long as you have SP1 installed, windows will support drives up to 2.2TB. You may want to check to make sure you have the correct ATAPI driver ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp).

After than, just right-click my computer -> management -> Right-click an unallocated region -> New Partition, or right-click free space in an extended partition-> New Logical Drive.

In the New Partition Wizard, click Next, click Primary partition, Extended partition, or Logical drive, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

9. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

k for number 1, the guys fix was...

"[font=verdana, arial, helvetica][font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Hey All.....

Well, i think i have it back to 1-5 seconds from the time i type my password to the point i'am at the desktop ready for input. I corrected my drive mappings, i did not have ICS set on my host. Once i enabled ICS the logins are working perfectly. :big grin:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.....

-fvlmasl2"

what does that mean?

4th problem that i forgot to mention...i knew there was something i was missing...evertime i shut down my computer, explorer.exe will force quit...because of this, many of my settings aren't saved...this has been happening for awhile so i would say that it doesn't have anything to do with the loading personal settings problem (since that just started)...so like i have iconpackager but everytime my computer boots up, i have to reopen icon packager so i can get all my icons looking the same...even if i rebuild the icon cache and reboot it won't save these settings (i'm pretty convinced it is because explorer.exe hangs on shutdown)

5th problem) (i really think this is the last thing i forgot) devldr.exe is not responding...a common problem for sound blaster live owners with windows xp...i have done many searches on this and everyone says that i need to uninstall the card, and then rather than having windows detect the card, download the newest drivers for it and install those...well i downloaded the newest drivers and installed them and then it asks me to reboot...when i boot back into windows, it "automatically recognizes my new hardware" and once again uses windows drivers for it so everytime i shut the computer down, the devldr force quits...the problem of these drivers not properly installing may have something to do with problem number 4 above, but the problem #4 above is not happening because of this...basically what i'm saying is that when i installed the new drivers after i had uninstalled the card, it told me to reboot...when i went to reboot...magic, the devldr.exe thing didn't pop up but explorer.exe still did...but then when i logged back into windows it uses windows drivers for the card...i have treid the "update drivers" through the properties of the card, but the drivers off the creative website come in an exe file and even when i install it there are no actual driver files i can find (as in i can say "have disk" when i am reinstalling them through but i can't find the drivers anywhere)
    [/font]
    [/font]

10. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i clicked on the 331958 link and downloaded that program...installed and rebooted and when i look at disk management, it will still only allow me to have about 136gb of my 200gig drive

on the link you gave me, i was going through the instructions and i'm fine upto the point where i have to find the sysprep folder and whatever it says about the images folder and whatnot...can't they just give me a new atapi driver instead of making this so hard?

11. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

ok, i'm an idiot...i do have the new driver but it isn't letting me have more than 136gb still...any ideas?

when i open up partition magic (sice i deleted all the partitions except my main 80gig drive and the 50gigs worth of my 200gig drive that i have full)

so i have C: 80gigs
    and D: 50 gigs

according to partition magic, disk 2 has 50 gigs for drive D (ntfs), 50 gigs extended (which i can't do anything with in partition magic or out of it), 50 gigs unallocated (logical) and 25gigs unallocated...everything is "primary" except for the logical partition that i mentioned above

i'm assuming i'd lose actually about 10 gigs from what they say it has but not like 25

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

200,000,000,000 bytes = 186.27 gigabytes
    I had to wrestle with the WD software all day when I first got my 160 before it would even give me the option ofpartitioning over 137 GB, so good luck and keep trying is all i can tell you.

13. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008