video codec packs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by emorphien, Jun 3, 2006.

1. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I'm looking for a good video codec pack. I have the latest version of VLC and it was stuttering all the way playing a .mp4 whereas quicktime played it fine. I would rather use VLC for everything so I'm hoping to find some codecs that will run more smoothly with it.

I don't know what to look for, I've gone through plenty on my Windows systems but haven't looked before for OS X and don't know what's best (nor have I found as many).

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

I don't think "codecs" exist for the Mac. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, you just have to load it up with whatever players you end up needing. If I am wrong, someone correct me because I still have a lot of videos I transfered from my PC to my MBP that, for one reason or another, don't play correctly.

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

I am thinking that might be the case, which is unfortunate. :sad2:

Good thing I didn't switch, I just added a mac to my collection.

4. emorphien

emorphien New Member

:rofl: I love that attitude. I've been using macs for years (in fact longer than I have Windows). I'm not stopping anything and I'm not a hardcore gamer. Macs are nice, but so is Windows. Both have their pros and cons.

That also doesn't help me any btw.

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

It runs fine in quicktime, so I suspect it is a codec incompatibility. I've seen pretty similar issues on other operating systems (incl Windows) where codecs and video formats play nice with one media player but not another.

Damn and I figured VLC would do everything ok heh. I could begrudgingly use quicktime if it would play in full screen mode.

6. robwormald

robwormald New Member

the 2 you need -
    popwire - which does .WMV in quicktime (and front row)
    divx - from www.divx.com, they have a UB binary that works in FR too

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

3ivx.com's codec seems to play both divx and their format :dunno: used it as a convenient quicktime plugin when vlc wouldn't play a file (a rare occasion indeed).

BTW, whatever VLC won't play, mplayer usually will. mplayer + VLC + Quicktime = any video, basically.