Video Cards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by armond, Oct 29, 2005.

1. armond

armond New Member

Is it hard to install a video card into a store bought desktop?

If not, what are some good video cards that are a decent price to buy? I am not looking for something allpowerfull, just something that can play counterstrike with ease, and maybe some more graphic instense games.

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

that depends alot on the specs of the desktop.... but you shouldnt have any problems.

what kinda desktop is it? specs?

3. armond

armond New Member

4. typ44

typ44 New Member

Looking at the specs I see that you have 2 PCI and 1 PCI express. Buy a card that fits into one of those 3 slots.

Not looking for anything too powerful? Go with ATI.

5. chips

chips ...

get a PCI express video card

6. armond

armond New Member

What kinda price are those hitting? And how good are they? Reminder, I know nothing about this stuff.

7. JaJae

JaJae New Member

What's your price range and what do you plan to do with it? What Resolution do you use?

8. armond

armond New Member

1024 x 768

Price range, I was hoping to stay under $100, but I don't think that can happen can it? I am not looking for the best, I just want to be able to play counterstrike with zero probs, and maybe a couple more graphic intense games. Nothing more so than WoW, although WoW isn't that graphically intense.

9. armond

armond New Member

Actualyl if you have seen the D&D Online game, what do you think would it take to run that? I know it isn't out yet, but it will be int he first quarter of '06.

http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=62

10. JaJae

JaJae New Member

11. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

I haven't played CS:S yet (installed and started up but been too busy with other games), but my GeForce 4 quite well MX4000 is running Half-Life 2 quite well and the card retails for ~$20 now. So you should be able to find something that'll run it under 100. Though, since your system supports pci-e you might as well splurge and get a 6600GT for ~$150.

12. armond

armond New Member

Hmm sounds like a plan, so the desktop I have will be no problem when installing a new video card?

13. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Fanboy.

I really, really, REALLY love to laugh at people who sling "U NEED SOCKET 939 PCI EXPRESS AND PIXEL SHADER 3.0 SUPPORT FOR A GOOD COMPUTAR, LOL"

That's great considering that my "archaic" Athlon XP 3200+/X800XL AGP system keeps up with my friend Kenny's Alienware with an Athlon 64 3400+ and a GeForce 6800GT PCI-E video card without even breaking a sweat.

I've been going with ATi since the 9600XT for a reason.

I always wait for both competitors to flex their muscles. And it's logical to do so.

If Ford came out with a cheap hybrid vehicle, and Chevy announced one as well, I'll give you one guess as to what I would do.

Bottom line is, nVidia bolstered about PS3.0, which nothing really supports to this day, and the X800 line was faster with FSAA/AF and had better image quality as well.

And to top it off, the X800XL AGP was the same price as the 6800GT. And it came with VIVO, standard.

One guess as to which I got for my birthday.

I always go with who has the faster product or the better deal. If nVidia had met my needs I would buy them. I am impartial. I go with who does my needs best.

I advocate the 6600GT AGP for mid-range buyers. Likewise, I advocate the X800XL AGP for buyers with more money.

Do you read Tom's Hardware?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  14. JaJae

JaJae New Member

You'll need a new power supply most likely and your case may need a little more cooling.

15. JaJae

JaJae New Member

What the fuck is this? If you click the link it shows the expansion slots that come with his computer. His computer can't take an AGP card. He was just letting him know to look at PCI-E video cards since they are compatible. Nobody cares about your Barton 2500+ overclocked to think it's faster than all your friend's computers.

16. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

:eek3: Just played a few rounds after typing that, very fast paced game, my mx1000 mouse isn't great for those types of movements but the vid card held up fairly well, no noticeable lag, everything well detailed. Pretty damn amazing for a GF4.
    System Specs:
    AMD A64 2800+ (754)
    1gb pc 3200 ram
    80gb HD
    GeForce4 mx4000 (128mb)

I'll have to see how it handles the FEAR single player demo tomorrow :noes:.

17. PeacefulAnarchy

You missed my point.

He said that users who do not need lots of power should go with ATi. Which is a retarded, biased statement.

I simply backed up my point as to why being biased is fucking retarded.

Don't get your hopes up...I haven't seen any card below a 9700 or GF FX 5900 run it acceptably.

That goes for the x600 series as well...

18. armond

armond New Member

Wow, how much will that stuff run me? Jesus, more to it than I thought. Do I just buy a fan and a new power supply? Will this require me to install software or will the comp automatically recognize them and run them?

And after all the posts, should I still be looking at that 6600GT, and is the brand name of it EVGA?

19. JaJae

JaJae New Member

If you're gonna upgrade now, I'd shell out the extra $10 or so and get a 6800 card over the 6600GT.

The psu depends really on how good of a supply you want. Figure anywhere from $50-100 for a decent one. The one that came with your case is probably just barely enough to handle what you have in there now. Open up your case and read us the numbers off the side of your power supply as to how many amps it puts out at which voltages. We can tell you if you need to upgrade.

And yes, if you get an upgraded video card it will be fairly massive. They come with their own cooling on the card, but it limits airflow in your case. eMachines cases are usually mid-towers The added card will restrict airflow to your southbridge of your motherboard and could cause some issues. I believe the 6800 is a bit larger than the 6600GT so that card might fit better. Also some of these graphics cards are rather large. Make sure you have enough room to fit the card itself. Measure the inside of the case and see how far back you can go before you hit the harddrives or some other part of your case.

No software is needed for a psu or fans.

20. PeacefulAnarchy

I have yet to see a single PCI-E southbridge that REQUIRES any kind of cooling.

And I personally haven't found a "cramped" HP/Compaq or e-Machines case. They are deceptive - they have plenty of room inside.

Also, considering HP used Bestec 250w PSU's in their machines for *MANY* years, that I have pushed up to 370w, I wouldn't sweat a thing. They weighed for pounds too. I have one sitting next to me.

Those Bestec PSU's are prevalent. The Dreamcast development kits used them, for fucks sake.

21. armond

armond New Member

should i open it up and take a pic of it for you guys?

22. PeacefulAnarchy

23. armond

armond New Member

24. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

uhhh wheres the PCI-Express slot..

25. armond

armond New Member

I dunno where to look for any of that... Tell me where it is supposed to be.