Video Cards - Anything New Coming Out Soon?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BeHeadR, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BeHeadR

BeHeadR Only Slightly Insane

I'm about to buy an 8800GT (was thinking about the GTX but don't want to deal with replacing power supply or cooling issues). But before I purchase the card I just wanted to check with OT guru's and ask if there is a new card series that will be released in the near future that will:
    a) cause the price of the 8800gt to drop significantly

or

b) put the 8800GT to shame.

So are we going to see a bunch of 768mb ddr3 cards out soon....maybe even 1024mb's?

Should I wait or go for it? :dunno:

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

9 series rumored release date is feb 14

3. BeHeadR

orly? What is the info on the 9 series? 768mbs? What is the "recommended retail price"?

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

:dunno:

from what I heard:
    first one to be released is the 9600 cards
    said to be 2x the power of the 8600
    requires a 6-pin PCI-E power connector

if the last one is true, a lot of people will be upgrading power supplies :rofl:

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

cehck out tomshardware.com for GPU info. Someone mentioned to me that a certian 8800 model usees less power than a lot of cards. Might be something to look into a little, it might use less/not much more power than your current GPU, who knows? I don't really know much about it, but he suggested the website, so check that out :)

6. BeHeadR

While we are on the topic, I've been reading that there are certain "bottleneck" issues with this card if you have a "slower" processor, but unfortunately they didn't define "slower"

Does anyone happen to know (or does anyone own this card) if a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz would be sufficient to get max performance out of this card?

7. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

8800GTS (G92) 512mb is what I would own if I were buying today. I have an 8800GTX and all the tests I've seen puts the GTS512 only a few frames behind it for $200-250 less.

My buddy is trying to get hands on a pair to do some SLI testing and see how that works. I'm just wanting to get one to put in my backup machine to play the games I usually play on my GTX. Tests can say what they want, but I'd love to compare the GTX and the GTS512 side by side in a little real world testing.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

8800 GT has the same requirement. Most ship with a 6-pin to 2xMolex adaptor. Mine did.

The 8800 GT is a smoking fast card for the price. I don't think the OP is going to find anything faster for the price anytime soon (this quarter for sure).