Video Card, What to get?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheChinkyEyedBandit, Nov 10, 2005.

1. TheChinkyEyedBandit

TheChinkyEyedBandit New Member

My computer is the Sony Vaio PCV-RS410 Desktop
    http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_VAIO_Digital_Studio_PCV-RS410_PC_Desktop/display_~full_specs

2.66ghz, P4, upgraded to 760 ram. also an extra 40 gb harddrive. New Audigy 2ZS sound card.

I've been wanting a new video card but just lagged on it. Now w/ FEAR installed I figure might as well, since I get the black screen! :squint:

My sound card was PCI but my video card is AGP? anyways almost ordered the wrong card. So recommend me a new card, preferrably under 150. But if its absolutely worth it to go upwards of 200 then so be it!!!

2. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

All sound cards are PCI...as far as a good video card for the price you are looking for the 6600GT is by far the best choice. This card is way underpriced for what it can do, it will run pretty much any game you want without an issue.

3. dota

dota New Member

:ugh: AGP 4x... A new computer. If not, 6600GT or 6800GT.

4. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

:ugh:

That's nice.

PCI-E is still far from a necessity.

He could upgrade his motherboard and get a huge boost, with dual channel support and a good dual channel kit that thing could fly again.

And if he wanted to he could overclock his P4 to 3.0GHz with no issues.

His machine has still got a lot of life left in it.

Actually, on the AGP front the X800XL is faster than the 6800GT for all games besides OpenGL based games such as Quake 4, Doom 3, or Prey.

However, the Doom 3 engine is nowhere near as popular as the Source engine - which runs better on ATi hardware. The Source engine powers Half-Life 2, in case you didn't know.

Also, with 16x anti-isotropic filtering enabled, the 6800GT takes a big hit due to the way it interpolates the scene on a hardware level. The X800XL does not, and you only lose around 3-5fps by enabling it.

Does it lack PS3.0 support? Well, yes. But it holds it's own against the 6800GT in PS3.0 games anyhow. The thing is, PS3.0 supported games are few and far between, and the only popular one that comes to mind is Far Cry.

Bottom line is the X800XL will run most games better than the 6800GT, and runs significantly better than the 6800GT with AA/AF enabled, which really helps image quality.

As for the physical length of the X800XL? It's actually not that bad...I've handled bigger cards. The pictures of it on the Net are pretty blown up, if you ask me...I use an Aspire X-QPack small form factor case, and it doesn't affect airflow one bit and fits in fine. On top of that, It doesn't even reach the end of my Micro ATX motherboard, my Chaintech 7NIL1.

All in all it's a great card.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  5. TheChinkyEyedBandit

TheChinkyEyedBandit New Member

so I should upgrade my motherboard before I touch my video card?

What motherboard to get? and so the x800xl is the card to get eh?

6. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three