Video Card suggestions/opinions please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by goshfriggn, Jan 31, 2003.

1. goshfriggn

goshfriggn Nothin to do but drive retards to the zoo

I really want/need to upgrade my video card. Currently it's a stock GeForce 3 from Dell's dimension line about a year and a half ago. I have been lookin around and have found Best Buy sellin an ATI Radeon 9500 PRO for about $219. I've always been a die-hard NVidia fan, but the idea of going ATI doesn't matter. A $158 version of ASUS' V8420 GeForce4 with about comparable stats is available from newegg.

What I'm wondering is this:
    Would the ATI be a better deal for the dollar, or would it be wise to wait for the 9700 to come down in price? Is the hardware superior to the NVidia? Are the drivers of equal value to the NVidia drivers or are NVidia's better? What are your opinions/suggestions? :confused: :dunno:

2. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Drivers IMO still fall in favour of nVidias side. If you can wait, wait for the 9700 Pro to drop in price and pick it up. Both the 9500 Pro and GF4 are good cards, but isn't anything compared to the 9700's raw power. There are articles and trials being run on how to overclock the 9500 to 9700 speeds, but do you really want to chance it? Remembering overclocking puts undue stress on the components.

Anyways, the ATI is somewhat future proof with DirectX9 compatibility, 128MB of fast ram running 128bit rather than 256 like 9700, same core as 9700. GF4 is DirectX8.1 and performance about on par with the 9500, slightly slower.

Wait for the 9700 or get the GF4 if you're not a hardcore gamer who needs that extra 5-10 frames per second.