Video card question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Jan 11, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

For Nvidia 6800 series, there's a GPU and Ambient temperature in the cp settings. I installed a new heatstink and the GPU temp has decreased by about 5degrrees celsisus however the ambient temperature has raised about 4degrees at the same time. Is this normal or is it possible that I didn't attach the heatsink properly? I only hand tightened the screws because I didn't want to risk crushing the board.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Absolutely normal. Think about how it works... Your GPU generates heat, and that heat has to go somewhere. Your heatsink takes this heat and increases surface area so that the heat can disipate through the air. If you make your GPU colder, you will be in-fact heating the surrounding environment.

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

That's what I thought but I just wasn't sure because the system temperature is the same as it was before. What about screwing the screws in with a screw versus just using fingers to tighten?

And the NV5 silencer is SUPPOSED to blow the air out a little hole in the back but I'm guessing 90-100% of the air shoots into the bottom of the case... Would it be worth it to drill a fan into the side wall and have it suck the vid car fan air out?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fans on the side usually hurt performance in a properly-designed case. The idea is to blow air front to back, bottom to top to promote a "wind-tunel" effect.

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

OK I guess I will just leave it how ti is now then. I have a front fan blowing to back and the top back blowing out.

Should I tighten the screws with a screwdriver or just by hand?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i use a powered driver with torque-adjustment. It puts more torque than a hand-tighten but less than you could do with a screwdriver.