Video card problem...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jabbermewmew, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Jabbermewmew

Jabbermewmew OT Supporter

When I start up my computer everything works fine. I get to the windows login screen and the card will display that without any problems. When I type my password though and actually log in, the desktop background loads, some icons load and then the screen turns this weird brownish color with horizontal lines.

Is my video card just fucked up? I've tried re seating in and cleaning it with compressed air. I still get the same screen upon login.

2. Idea of Evil

Idea of Evil Struggle

3. Jabbermewmew

I just tried logging into my partition that has windows 2k on it... It works just fine, I can log in and it displays my background and everything at 1280x1024

I seem to just be having problems with XP when I try to login

4. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Before I panicked and purchased a new video card I would try reloading the video drivers.

I learned long ago to keep several generations of video drivers. That way if Nvidia or ATI put out a new set that screws something all up I can go to an old set and be fine.
    It also comes in handy for old games. Occasionaly a new set of drivers comes out that screws up an old game. If I get the hanckering to play that game I can load up the old game.

I suggest you do the following:

1. log into Safe-mode (F5 or F8 during boot up I believe, also if you interrupt the windows boot up by pressing the reset key on the computers case you will be offered safe-mode options) and uninstall and delete all your current video drivers.
    You want to completly delete them from the C:drive.

Reboot into normal windows mode.
    You should be able to get to your desktop now, although you will be running in low bit graphics compat. mode.

downlod the newest STABLE drivers from NVIDIA or ATI and install them.

Remember that when you do the first reboot after the uninstall Windows is going to discover the video card as a 'new hardware item found' and try to install drivers. You want to keep it from doing this by canceling the process.

5. Jabbermewmew

This has worked so far, I've been able to log back in. Installing the new drivers right now