Video card problem.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Jun 10, 2007.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Recently my LCD started to randomly go blank like it loses power or something. Sometimes once every 5 minutes to as much as a few times per minute. Driving me crazy. Sometimes (maybe 10 - 20% of the time) the pc will actually freeze a second right before the screen blanks out. Other times I can literally keep on typing or wahtever while it does it.

Over the last week or so I have done as much troubleshooting as I can think of along with posting a thread on evga forums.

First of all I reinstalled windows XP (not specifically because of this but hoped it would help). All new updates/drivers for everything (video, sound, etc.)
    Ran memtest overnight. (no errors)
    Ran WD Diagnostics on both HD's (no problems found.)
    Changed video drivers two or three times (lost count but did use appropriate driver cleaner program in between all of them)
    Tried new DVI cable.
    Tried a different power outlet.
    Probably leaving some things out also.

Finally today I had the chance to swap LCD's and the other LCD does it also. So I am pretty sure it has to be driver related/video card related.

The only other thing I did not long before this problem started was to flash my BIOS from p26 to p28. Although at least one other person on evga forums has this issue he claims his started before ever flashing to p28. If I can find an .iso for p26 I'll give it a shot anyway. I've got nothing to lose at this point.

System specs are eVGA 680i, Intel E6400, eVGA 7950GT KO 512MB, 2GB Crucial RAM

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

never ever ever ever flash unless you need to. why did you do it in the first place?

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I agree with "don't fix something that isn't broke" but as you probably know this 680i board has not been a stranger to issues. I have had a few minor ones every now and then and this BIOS "fixed" alot of things.
    Again, I do not specifically think the BIOS is the culprit but I plan to re-flash as soon as I can either get an .iso of the older p26 or rob a floppy drive somewhere.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Are you able to check your video card temps?

5. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I think it was around 48-50C earlier today.

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Anybody have any other ideas?

I've already contacted evga about RMA'ing the video card b ut if there's anything left to try i'd like to give it a shot.

I'm going to talk to them and and maybe ask if I can just send back the mobo and video card for them to test themselves. Not sure if they'll do that though.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

PSU maybe?

I had some issues with my gfx going out while just looking at images, hit the arrow keys to scroll the image and the screen would black out.
    When I switched to a card that didn't to be connected directly to the PSU, everything was fine.
    RMA'ed the card to eVGA, got the replacement, ended up with the same problem.

Replaced the PSU and it's all good.

Went from a 6800GS AGP 300/1000 that I could unlock the quad making it a 16x6, to a 6800GS AGP SuperOC 400/1100 that I can't unlock.

8. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I had thought of that Wolf. I grabbed a power supply tester from work and I am going to try it tonight. It is a corsair 620 watt PS and I have had it since november. Unfortunately I don't have another power supply to test it with.

This doesn't just blank out when I'm doing stuff either, it actually did it at least once about 20 seconds after I hadn't touched anything (mouse, keyboard, etc.).

9. Doc Brown

Does that 7950 card have two dvi connectors? Did you try them both?

You're not by chance running a raid 0 are you?

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

YYep, tried both DVI ports on the video card with the same result.
    And no I am not running RAID.

Anotehr strange thing is when I uninstalled one of the video drivers I just used standard windows drivers for about 30 minutes or more and didn't have any problem. The resolution was 1280 x something and trying to scroll webpages was not smooth at all.

11. Doc Brown

Damn.

Have you been using the same driver release each time?
    If you're using the one on the disc, try a newer one.
    If you're using a newer one, try an older one.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I've used 3 different nvidia drivers total. All official, no beta ones. The one I have used for months worked fine. Since this issue I have tried two other ones and it hasn't helped.
    I called Corsair (power supply) just to run the problem by them. From everything I explained he said he didn't think it was a PS issue. He did say I could send them the PS and they would test it.
    Kinda at a dead end here. I will definately RMA the video card but as said earlier (I thin kI did) 2 or 3 other people at evga forums have the same issue. Only common denominator is the 680i mobo. So I may just get evga to swap both out.

13. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I have the same problem with my LCD. A friend of mine told me he heard about people having the same problems as he was researching LCD monitors. He said its an issue with the picture on the screen lagging behind what the video card was sending, then everything goes blank to allow it to catch back up. Seems plausable, but I'm no computer expert.

I started having the problem after my Radeon 9800 Pro blew up and I switched to a G-Force 6200 OC. It only goes black while I'm playing games, and never on the desk top.

I switched power supplys to see if it would change anything, nope. Customer support had me install new drivers which didn't help. Then they were going to have me test out the power supply, which I was too lazy to get around to.