Video card possible purchases, need advice!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Coco Monkey, May 8, 2003.

1. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

Howdy, I'm building my own computer and have all the componets finally together, minus a video card. I kept the more expensive items to purchase last. anywho, i WAS looking at a ati aiw 9700 pro, but after reading some of the reviews on newegg.com, people have been saying that they've had some issues with the card as far as installing and freezing up. does anyone have this card, and if so do you have any problems with it? ALSO, i dont know if i'd really utilize all the tv tuner stuff so is there another card thats equivilent that is still 128mb, with an 8x agp? im not too firmiliar with nvidia's products.. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT!! Thanks! :wavey:

2. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

You don't want the TV tuner, but you want to keep the VIVO?
    Try the ASUS V9560 GeForce FX5600 w/ DUAL DVI VIVO.
    It's not the very top of the line GPU, but it's right up there.
    If you don't care about the VIVO, then just get a regular ATI 9700 Pro

3. M4A1

M4A1 :)

8x agp has twice the bandwith of 4x agp... but, you will only see a 1 frame-per-second difference between the two. its not even noticable

4. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

what!?! how can that only make THAT amount of difference? whats the whole point of comming out with 8x agp then??? :o

5. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

AGP 8x is for the future. Games and video cards aren't using the extra bandwidth yet, but they will...

6. redwingg91

redwingg91 Guest

depends on your price range. if you're in the 9700 pro price range, you might as well chip in a little extra and get the geforce fx 5900 Ultra...or

if you're looking for something under $200 you can get a radeon 9500 Non-Pro and OC it to the equivalent of a 9700. that's what i'm doin :big grin: