Video card / monitor set up

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mattxr1, Dec 25, 2005.

1. mattxr1

mattxr1 bamf

For Christmas I got a new 20" LCD Dell Monitor :naughty:. I want to be able to use two monitors so I'm guessing the only way to do that is to get a new video card. I'm looking to spend $150-$200.

I built my PC but that was about 2 years ago and I am really out of the loop as far as parts go now.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as far as what the best video card in that price range is that would allow me to use two monitors, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!! :bigthumb:

2. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

since your pc is at least 2 years old i will assume you have AGP rather than PCI-e. and since your pc is so old it would probably be a waste to get he highest end video card which is the x850xt pe in AGP form. If you're an ATI fan then last gen ati cards will do ya fine... 9600xt/9800xt. If you prefer nvidia then 6600gt/6800/6800gt/gs would fit the bill. All new video cards have dual monitor support for the most part. If it was me, i'd get this one-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608

3. mattxr1

mattxr1 bamf

well, since i built my computer i had in mind upgrading it along the way one or two pieces at a time..

i found out my current video card can do dual monitors. it's a nvidia gx 440 or something like that.

what's the difference between pci-e and agp??

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The difference between PCIE and AGP isthat PCIE is faster and it's the newest slot for GFX cards.

If you currently have a GeForce4 MX440, and it's not on-board video, then I would guess it's AGP.

If you need a card to play the newer/est games like Battlefield 2 and FEAR, look at the x800 series. Newegg.com has a x800 GTA 256MB, which even as a nVidia fan I'm looking at getting myself, for just under $200 including shipping.
    But then it also depends on what the rest of your system specs are. Not much of a point in getting that card if all you have is a 1.5GHz or lower CPU and only 512MB of RAM...and also if gaming isn't your thing.