video card/monitor behaving strangely

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Muchacho_Gasolino, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

well i recently built a computer, i mostly went on the internet and ordered things, i just thought it would be a fun project and a cheaper way to get a good comp. well so far its been awesome but theres some wierd things going on display wise
    all of a sudden my monitor seems to not want to recognize that the computer is on, i turn the comp off and it goes to sleep like it should, but then a few hours later when i turn the comp back on it doesnt come out of sleep. i try turning it on and off and nothing happens. but eventually i tried flicking the switch on the surge protector on and off and guess what? monitor works now. but i have to do this every time i start up my computer, and it shouldn't be like that. Also, during windows loading, the monitor will flicker in and out of sleep mode, each time coming back with a different resolution, sometimes something freaky like really tall and skinny, but then when windows finishes loading it looks fine with normal resolution. however, one time it started up after doing its routine and had a huge purple spot in the lower left, something that looks like it had been caused by magnets, so i pressed the degauss button and it flickered and waved around and looked like it was going to come back to normal but then when it popped back to normal shape the purple spot came back. so then i shut the comp down, came back a few hours later, did the whole surge protector dance, and it looked good again.
    the other problem has to do with good old Doom 3. there is one point in the game where i come out of an elevator, game looking fine, nothing special on the other side of the elevator, just a room, but then i turn to shoot at this zombie in the corner and all of a sudden 1 frame every 20 or so seconds, totally unplayable. If i can get my PDA up it works fine, except if i mouse over a menu with an animation, and usually when i press escape it brings up the title screen right away and no problems with that, but when i return to the game i just can't do anything. i tried restarting the level and coming back, rebooting, getting new video drivers, nothing works, it just screws up at the same place, and only when i need some 3d rendering done.
    heres some basic comp specs
    Athlon 64 3200+
    1 gb PC3000
    120 gb seagate SATA 7200, 80 gb seagate SATA 7200 (probably 95% free space on both of them)
    Asus K87 Deluxe mobo
    Asus geforce FX 5700 256 mb
    monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro something 19" CRT
    thanks

2. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

really nobody knows?
    or is my title not interesting enough