Video card is making weird fan noises

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LtBk, Apr 8, 2006.

1. LtBk

LtBk New Member

In last couple of days, one my computer's fans spin loud everytime i start up the computer. It lasts 30 or so seconds before it goes away but sometimes it spins loud again in the middle of the day. I want to know which fan is spinning loud that way, so today i open up the computer and turn on to see which one is spins. Turns out that the heatsink on my Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro was the one that was spinning loud. Any reason why? BTW, it happened before a couple of months ago.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Is it completely random or when gaming (or anything thing else that would stress the graphics card)?

Random could me the fan is dying.
    During games (and the like) could be a feature of the ATI drivers to speed up the fan speed when the cards hits a set temperature.

3. LtBk

LtBk New Member

Random. It happened before but that was months ago.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

new fan time. get one of the arctic cooling setups, it fits on the video card and uses the top pci slot to blow the hot air right out the back instead of blowing it around in the case. Or if you want something silent, get the zalman passive heatsink.

5. butler

butler I need an adult!

my nvidia card would spin up its fan to a higher speed whenever I started a 3D application, and at boot time. It sounded like a jet engine, so I replaced it with an arctic cooling setup. If it really is random, then it's time to replace it.

6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

So there ya go, 3 people telling you to repalce the fan. To tell the truth even if the fan was perfectly fine I would tell you to replace it anyway...stock card fans suck.

As for the Arctic-Cooling cooler they are talking about and I would have told you about anyway is this one: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=36
    Note however that it only works with the PCIE version ofthe card. There isn't one for the AGP version, that is if there is an AGP version of that card...I don't know and don't care.

7. mace

mace i don't read

my 6800 gt sounds like a jet taking off

find me a silencer for it :x:

8. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

9. rocklee

rocklee New Member

k, im a noob (and yes i know, u don't have to remind me :o), i know that PCIE = pci express, my question is, does AGP = PCI slot = weak shit?? (the integrated default "stock" shit that comes with the shitty comp when bought at a store??)...basically is AGP = PCI SLOT??

10. fantyx

fantyx New Member

AGP is obsolete, but it will work fine unless you want to upgrade again in the distant future.

Your fan is making noise because it is old and the bearings are wearing out. When it heats up from use it quiets down. I have 12 fans in mine that have been running 24/7 since October, and whenever I shut down my computer for more then 2 minutes they will scream for a good half hour.

11. rocklee

rocklee New Member

hmmm...very interesting, cuz i told my friend that i needed a new power supply and a new video card cuz my current ones are basically crap...he told me since i have a crappy pci slot, my card shouldn't cost more then 60 bucks cuz my mobo is a piece of shit, and about da power supply, i told him i need a new one cuz my current one is too damn noisy...he said i shouldn't worried cuz my comp is a piece of shit with a shitty mobo, so im wondering, would i still need a new power supply when i get my new shitty graphics card??? :sadwavey:

and what pci slot g card SHOULD i get or would u recommend??...under $100?? (and no im not willing to buy a new mobo)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Another temporary fix for noisy video card fans and chipset fans would be to remove them, peel back sticker (if there is one), and put one drop of oil in the hole, replace sticker and mount fan. It worked for me on a horrible sounding chipset fan. Lasted about 6 months or so.