video card is dying...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, Dec 12, 2004.

1. who?

who? Guest

im using a ati radeon 7200 series card....
    when i minimize or exit games i've been playing for 20 mins+, i usually hear the fan spin really loud, and recently, my com has been freezing, mostly during gaming
    does anyone know if it really is my vid card? or could it be something else that's making my com freeze?

2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Sounds like it is malfunctioning and then freezes up your video card from overheating. Make sure it is your video card fan though. It could also be your power supply dying, or possibly cpu fan.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Its most probably a fan issue, could be the fan of your video card or CPU. Try and run and play games with your tower open and check out all the fans in your case. Malfunctionnng fans will cause freezes and/or unwanted reboots.

4. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Yep, most likely the fan. Open up the computer. Check if dust is preventing the fan from spinning. Take some tweezers and start removing the dust.

When the fan doesn't spin, the video card overheats. Before it kills itself, I think it sends an interrupt to the operating system and tells it to shut down.