Video Card Crapping Out?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuiltySparc, Apr 22, 2009.

1. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

About a year ago i started experiencing problems playing full screen games. After a few minutes, the monitor would go into standby mode and then the computer would lock up. I'm thinking the video card might be going bad, its a 4 year old GeForce 6800GT. I picked up a laptop and put my desktop woes on the back burner.

Anywho, i've decided to look at it again. The desktop runs fine as long as i dont play games (either full screen or in windowed mode). I've tried several driver versions and also reinstalling windows. The inside of the case is pretty clean and dust free also.

Does that sound like a defective video card? Is there anything else thats as likely to be the cause of the problem? There is a 9500GT on newegg for $30 after rebate, so i figured i'd pick that up.

Thanks in advance! :bowdown:

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

It's worth a shot to see, for only $30 anyway.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Ya, $70 up front but with a $40 mail-in rebate that'll take 8-10 weeks, lol.

I mostly want to make sure that its most likely the video card. The computer could use a fresh build since its 4 years old, but i dont need more power per se. The only thing i do with that computer is play WoW.

But if its likely to be something other than the video card, i'd be more inclined to rebuild than drop the coin on another PCI-e 16 card when the chances are i'd rebuild with a newer PCI-e 2.0 equiped mobo.