Video Capture Card (editing/saving)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexican, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Sexican

Sexican New Member

So, I just got a video capture card, and I'm having problems saving it as a smaller file type. It will only let me save as an mpg/mpeg...and if I'm right, that's usually a huge file type right? Isn't .wmv smaller than that or no? If so, does anyone know how to save it as a .wmv or a smaller file type?

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Consumer grade video capture cards are generally only going to allow you to capture in uncompressed (AVI) or minimally compressed (MPEG-1) format. After that you would use an external video encoding program to compress/convert it into whatever format you want. Microsoft offers, or at least used to offer, a freeware WMV encoder for download. There are other programs out there if you want MPEG-2, DivX/XviD, Quicktime, etc.

3. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Ah, very good reply - thank you. Now the other question is, VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION :)

I got this Vid Capture Card so I could record my XBox Live sessions (Halo 2 games, Madden, etc.) and record games, then cut and edit them into like a "highlite reel" Anyway, I have to play the game on the computer monitor and it lags like SHIT. It doesn't move smoothly at all, it's really choppy, and I can't make a highlite reel if I can't even get a kill! Is there a way to run it through the TV and still have it capture on the computer? Or a way to make it speed up, because it's so laggy it doesn't seem to be even worth it =(

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I had the same problem with my Pinnacle PCTV until I disabled deinterlacing in the video options in Vision, so try that. What type of card do you have?

5. Sexican

Sexican New Member

i have a MSI [email protected] plus ---> here

6. Sexican

Sexican New Member

another question.. the lag it appears no1 can help me

i record the games and watch and edit them ... but they have no sound no gunfire or antyhing... i can put in custom songs but y cant i get the actually gameplay sounds?