vid card suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sfam198, Apr 4, 2006.

1. sfam198

sfam198 John Petrucci Is God

I recently bought an Apollo nVIDIA 6800 graphics card from newegg. Well, dumbass me didn't read all of the reviews and found out the hard way that the card was a piece of junk. It constantly crashed whenever trying to play games like Oblivion and had all kinds of artifacts when playing slightly less intensive games like NFS:MW...typical signs of overheating, even though the card constantly ran at 40-45 degrees. I think I only ONCE saw the temp spike to 51 or so. And this was on completely stock settings, I couldn't even get it to overclock 1 MHz. Anyway, needless to say, that card is on its way back to newegg and hopefully in a few days, I'll have my refund.

Unfortunately, this still leaves me in a bit of a predicament. I bought the card in the first place because my FX5200 can't even play Oblivion on the lowest settings and get more than 1-2 fps. So I'm still in need of a new card. I was thinking of going with a 6600gt from ASUS. I'm not really sure I want to get another 6800 series card, since all the reading I've done says that the 6800 series in general is kind of hit or miss with stability. If you get lucky, you'll get a card that is stable, but most of the time, it'll end up being a piece of junk.

I'm definitely going to buy a brand name card this time. I have two problems though. First problem is that my motherboard only has an AGP slot...no PCI-E. Not really a huge problem, but it does limit my options somewhat. Second problem is that I don't really want to spend a lot of money on this card. I realize that skimping on the cost is probably not going to get me an amazing card, but I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a system that is going to be getting replaced in less than a year anyway.

So, I'm open to any and all suggestions. My goal is to be able to play Oblivion. It is probably the last game I'll be buying before I build a new system, which will be a dedicated gaming machine. I don't really play games that often, but the little bit I did get to play this one got me hooked.

Here are my system specs:

Intel P4 w/ HyperThreading 2.6GHz
    1 GB PC3200 (DDR400) RAM
    160GB Maxtor HDD (5400 RPM)
    400W PSU (not a top of the line unit, but it's decent)
    DVD-RAM Drive
    ZIP750 Drive
    Floppy Drive
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2

2. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

What drivers are you using with Oblivion?
    Make sure it's the 84.25.

4. sfam198

yup, using 84.25. i also flashed the bios on my motherboard, since it was way outdated, i figured there may have been a conflict between the card and the motherboard. still nothing.

from my reading online, about 4 our of every 5 of those cards were junk...if you were lucky, you'd get a good one that MIGHT work for 2-3 months, then crap out.

5. sfam198

that's WAY over my budget. i really can't see spending $300 on a card now when i'll be replacing it in my new system with a newer, better card for probably around that same price.

i'm looking to spend less than $200. i'd really like to keep it under $150-$175 if possible.

a couple cards i'm looking at
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121195
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121216

i'd really rather go with the first since i don't really want to go all out like i said before.

another question, is more than 128MB memory really necessary? obviously, it will be better to have more, but is it absolutely necessary?

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

128mb vs 256mb depends on the level of games you want to play.
    Are you running pci express? If so, the new nVidia 7600 series looks like a good performer and it's right in your price range.
    If you are using an agp slot, you can probably find a nVidia 6800 128mb card for around that much as well.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I'd take a 6800GS, you have a chance of unlocking the other pipelines which can help performance a lot.

That 6800 you linked is different. It only has a 128bit memory bus, which will be a serious bottleneck.