GUN Vid: AR goes kaBoom

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 5, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Looks like the mag blew out. Did the rear of the brass came apart or what?

3. GTP

GTP New Member

That mag blew the fuck up :o

4. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

did the article say what caused it? it did not fire 4 or five times prior to the accident, maybe he should have looked into why?

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Didn't say what caused it, my guess would be faulty ammo, whether its factory or reloads :dunno:

6. Hooch

Hooch New Member

My guess would be a couple of primer fired only handloads that pushed the projectile a little ways down the barrel, when fired with a live factory load or good load the pressure blew up inside the chamber, probley should have checked the ammo casings he ejected after the first couple of pops you heard before he ejected the rounds manually.

7. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

That sounds right, you even hear him say "I didn't load these, Brian did"

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I think it has to be something like this. I knew it was coming when he had the missfires.

9. copiertalk

I thought everyone knew that if you had a FTF you should keep the muzzle in a safe direction and give it a few minutes to make sure it is not going to go off and then inspect the shell? I watched the video and I think you may be right.

10. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

It depends on the situation (as far as cool off, you should always keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction) but as long as the projectile is still in the casing, I wouldnt see a problem with just tossing it.

11. copiertalk

Ok I should have phrased that better. 1st rule, never point a gun at anything you do not want to destroy.

I guess the guy that reloaded the amunition should have taken better care to check his powder charge. That was one screwup, the next is the guy should have paid attention to the ejected case and noticed that the charge did not go off yet there was no bullet attached to the case anymore. screw-up #2.

12. Hooch

Hooch New Member

It could have been anything, powder charge, no powder, powder with lube on it from the resize, over pressure, under pressure, corn cob media stuck in the flash hole, anything. These are the things you have to be aware of when reloading with fast burning powder for 5.56.

13. copiertalk

When I was reloading, I was pretty anal about the whole process and double checked every step.

14. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Where are you in TX dood?

15. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Well it all depends on what kind of press you use, when you use a single stage and have to do everything by hand you get used to quadruple checking your work because of all the hand steps involved, it's when you are busting out mass quantities on a progressive is when accidents happen in my opinion, I use a single stage RockChucker so I can visually inspect my fuckups, and trust me even with a single stage there are plenty. In the last two weeks I have cranked out over 2000 rounds of 5.56 tracers with IMR 7383 50 cal tracer/spotter powder, and have had my share of problems with powder sticking in the throat of the brass after I lube it, it can make for bad loads. Right now I can only get about 23 grains of powder in a cartridge and that's filled to the hilt, I haven't had any malfuctions and I've fired off about 5-600 rounds, it's a bit grainy and dirty and chronos in from 2400 to 2600 depending on how fast the tracer is burning out, but at about 5 cents a round that it costs for me to make it it makes for good dirt shooting ammo. I get the 7383 powder for 6 bucks a pound and my tips are usually right at about 20 bucks per 1000,they are pulled military tracers, and I get my brass from a range guy that lives aboutt 2 hours south for usually 40 bucks for 10,000 casings of mix and match. Keeps me busy in the garage.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Well that wasn't what I was expecting, after seeing the first few misfire and the rounds being cycled without waiting, I was thinking we were going to see a delayed primer ignite out of the ejected rounds. Still this was a bigger boom.

17. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

use graphite neck lube

18. Stockman

Stockman New Member

Although I will agree that a progressive loader is more complicated, I don't agree that it is any more dangerous than a single stage press. Actually I would imagine it's about the same. Human error is the key factor, if you roll a progressive back you can double charge a hull/casing or if you double charge by hand it's no different, still human error! I have measured thousands of powder charges that my progressive dropped and NEVER did it weigh more than a grain or two different! So if I double charge a load its my fault not the machines. That said... I don't shoot reloads unless I reloaded them myself, I know what quality control measures I have in place and know that I don't smoke out, drink, watch TV or talk to my friend on the phone while I am reloading.
    I think the guy shooting the AR should have been more in tune with what was happening... I would have checked the ammo to see what was happening when I had my first failure! He just shucked it and tried some more, what a dumbass! Worst thing... He will contact Bushmaster, RRA or whoever the AR is from and tell them it blew up and he doesn't know why! Now he wants a new gun, and it was his fault to begin with. Maybe from my lifetime of shooting shotgun you KNOW that a wad can become lodged in the barrel, even the plastic hull base inside the hull (on a two piece hull) can separate and lodge in the barrel. If it doesn't sound right, its NOT right. He had several rounds that sounded wrong and he just shucked them slammed the assist and fired the next round. I sure hope it was his AR and not Brian's!

19. copiertalk

san angelo, 90 miles south of you

20. copiertalk

I just watched it again. he keeps hitting what I assume is the bolt. I am an ar noob but I wonder why he kept hitting the bolt forward like the cartridge did not go into the chamber?

21. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I see. I did no shooting down there, unfortunately; I didn't realize there was a free-to-military place. :sad2:

22. striker754

striker754 Chillin

ahahahah fucking dumbass. his own fault if shit doesn't chamber you don't keep bashing the forward assist.

you can reload safely doing other things(tv, talking to people,etc) if you aren't a dumbass.

single stage press? hell no. how fucking boring and long to make one round.

23. mauk

mauk OT Supporter

that is one of the reasons i got a lefty AR.

24. copiertalk

everyone has a hobby, I do not have the money for a progressive press. I can and will do it right.

25. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

to me it looks like he discharged out-of-battery.