VHS to Computer? What type of video card how much $$$?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBlonde, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

I've got a video clip on a VHS tape that I would like to be able to transfer to my computer and I know I will need some sort of new video card but beyond that I have no idea what. Someone told me I need something with RCA in's that I can attach the RCA outs from my VCR to the computer but what type of video card has this? Could you please suggest a card? Also...does ebay have anything like what I would need?

2. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

You just need a video capture card, Ati makes good ones, and you can find them all over the place on eBay.They do make capture cards that are also normal video cards but if you already have a good vid card there's no sense in upgrading that as well.

3. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

could you please point me to one on ebay that would be what i want? I'de only really need to be using it maybe once. Thank you.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

In my experience, the ATi capture cards are very grainy, and arn't anything more than an amature's card. Now, I know you don't need the best card, but I'd suggest you go with something a little better. I have an NVTV and quality-wise it's better than any of the hauppage cards I've used. However, I don't think the NVTV works outside of Media Center Edition. Therefore, I'd say go for a Hauppage PVR150 or PVR250. Dispite logic, which would make it seem the 250 is better, the cards have the same specs in terms of quality, but the 150 is the newer chipset -- go figure.

5. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

where can i get one of these video cards from? It's not something that Kmart or Walmart would carry is it?

my paypal funds are lower than expected and shipping rates are insane.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

8. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

9. kl

kl New Member

Viewcast makes really good capture cards, they have a lot of different models and the quality is great. We use them in professional capture business.

10. rzklkng

rzklkng "A republic, madam, if you can keep it"

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Going on rzklkng suggestion
    Hauppauge WinTV-Go TV Tuner/Video Capture Card for $19.99 w/ Free shipping
    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10186.html

You'll have to download the driver, software and manual yourself from Hauppauge's web site.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, max record res of 320 x 240 *crap*.

There's a reason that card is so cheap.

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Umm.....

You don't need a TV tuner card to put the clip on your machine. We have a Dazzle Video Creator 80 at work that I bring home when I need it.

It plugs in your USB port and has A/V jacks on it. Plug it into your machine, run wires to your TV and stream it.

http://search.ebay.com/Dazzle-80_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

It's cheap enough if you aren't going to use it often.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but that's still only 320x240... here's the difference between 320x240 and 800x600:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

which would you want?

15. Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven Guest

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

LeadTek has a pretty big reputation of building unreliable products.

As for my comparison, here's why: The source was 800x600, so instead of converting twice, I wanted to show the diff between an original and a 320x240 version. That's a straight resize, with no change in format -- so actual quality results will be much worse because a conversion would take place. Secondly, analog video is already so disadvantaged in the quality department that it is truely benefitial to capture at a higher resolution than what you intend to have as a final product. Remember, you can always take away, but you can never add.

17. Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven Guest

You seem to base your opinion on generalizations and assumptions rather than actual experience. Leadtek has a history of producing the most popular PCI video capture cards on the market for good reason. Because they work well and they're cheap. Vague notions that Leadtek sucks is rather useless information.

You still don't get the resolution issue. Have you even ever tried capturing analog video before? Sounds like you're going off hearsay and conjecture more than actual experience. The thread starter can't get 720x480 resolution, much less 800x600 resolution so posting a pic comparing a 800x600 to 320x240 in terms of size and quality is both misleading and useless. Actual quality results comparing a 720x480 analog video resized to 320x240 is MUCH better than what you're trying to imply. Downsizing video hides noise, of which there is a lot of in analog video, so the visual results are not so far off.

And of course it's always a good idea to capture at a high resolution if it's available. But the actual benefits vary greatly with your source material so in some cases it doesn't result in a huge quality loss. For a user looking for a budget solution, it's a disservice to recommend they only get the best equipment when it won't offer a great improvement for the dollar.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i base my opinions on leadtek being unreliable based on the fact that I sold them for quite some time. I no longer carry them... I'll let you guess as to why.

and the idea of downsizing video *proves* my point. "Capture at a higher res than what you will use in the final product, and resize to your needs".

But capturing at 320x240 vs. 640x480 (supported by many cards under $100), the 640x480 will provide noticable quality improvements.

Bottom line: if you get a crappy card, you'll end up with crappy results... buy what your heart desires.

19. Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven Guest

I really don't care why you stopped selling them. The limited observations of one person don't reflect the experiences of users as a whole. With such a large user base, it's obvious the Leadtek capture cards are reliable and they work well.

And once again, you're only deluding yourself with theoretical arguments. When your source is low res to begin with, capturing at a higer resolution does nothing but add noise and waste space. Upsampling cannot add resolution so you gain nothing and often lose something in the form of added noise with analog video which is very difficult to deal with. The generalization that capturing at 640x480 will always provide noticeable quality improvements is laughable and just points out your inexperience in this area. :hsugh:

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My contention is simple : the source he wishes to record has more than 320x240 of visible data... Therefore, recording at 320x240 would reduce the quality, as not everything is recorded. We are say the same basic principle, but I am applying it, as where you are not.

your statement that recording a resolution above what the source offers does nothing to aide quality, is true. My point is that his source probably has more than 320x240 to record, and that 640x480 will be able to handle that.

21. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I have a question about the Leadtek Winfast TV2000 Expert that was mentioned, I think I know the answer but I just want to make sure of something.

I know it has a TV and FM connection, and then something like looks kind of like S-Video but with with more pins. This comes with a cable that looks like it has an actual S-Video jack, and composite video with left and right audio...correct?
    And if this is right, the software has the options to choice which of the 3 sources to draw from; TV tuner, S-Video, composite video.

The only other question I have, if all of that is right, is any idea if....
    I hook up a standard video camera (it's an old camera, not a digital camera so no firewire or usb support) using the composite video, any idea if something like YahooIM (or any other IM client or webcam software) will see and use this as the source?

22. Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven Guest

I believe we're arguing the same principles. My point however is that the quality of VHS recordings vary greatly, and unless you're recording from a S-VHS source using an S-video connection, you don't get much more than 320x240 resolution. So while a 640x480 capture resolution will capture some more data, in real world use it doesn't amount to much more gain. And for that gain you're saddled with 4 times the information meaning you need to process 14-15GB of data per hour of video recorded versus 3-4GB of video per hour. For many users, that end up being more hassle than it's worth.

23. Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven Guest

Yes, the Winfast Expert breakout cable has all those connections and you can pick which source to choose from when recording.

Whether or not you can use a regular camcorder as a webcam would depend on the application you're using. In order to make it happen, the app would have to have WDM driver support so it could take the video information from the Leadtek Winfast card. You'd probably have to manually configure the Winfast card to select the connection but it's possible. I haven't really tried it though so I don't know about any specific apps that can do it.

24. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Cool thanks. That should work for me then, and newegg has it for a pretty good price at $50 for the retail box, which is about the same price I found on Froogle...but newegg has the better shipping cost of only $1.99 compared to almost $9

25. rzklkng

rzklkng "A republic, madam, if you can keep it"