Vga and Dvi question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Growling_Lion, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Growling_Lion

Growling_Lion New Member

I have a laptop which only accepts normal vga cords but I just got a lcd monitor that i wanted to hook up that has a Digital DVI single link space is there anyway I can hook this upto my laptop still. My laptop is a compaq x1000 with a radeon 9200 and the monitor is a gateway fpd 1500. Your help would most definitiely be appreciated.

2. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

get a vga to dvi plug adapter. you should be able to find them at radioshack.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Are you sure the monitor didn't come with a VGA cable too? That's all you'd need.

4. Growling_Lion

Growling_Lion New Member

yea, i got this monitor from a friend and thats all the wires i got. I bought a dvi to vga adapter and it isn't working. I need a dvi digital converter and I can't find anything.

5. tony

tony Guest

If your laptop is only vga (analog) and your new monitor is only digital dvi, then you need a adaptor that will convert the analog signal into a digital one. These are expensive and generally run a few hundred dollars.

Some graphics cards' dvi connectors also allocate pins for analog video, which is what those dvi-vga adapters are for. If your monitor doesnt have a built-in ADC for a video signal, then they're not going to do anything. If your monitor doesnt have a vga connector on it, then you're most likely out of luck.