MIL Vets to McCain: Back New GI BIll

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Apr 11, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

A leading political action committee founded by veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has launched a new internet video and petition demanding that Sen. John McCain throw his support behind a new GI Bill.

The video -- a joint project of Brave New Films, VoteVets.org and WesPAC, a group formed by former Supreme Allied Commander in Europe General Wesley Clark -- is aimed at persuading the Republican nominee for president to agree to provide improved education benefits for soldiers returning home from the two wars.

http://www.military.com/news/article/vets-to-mccain-back-new-gi-bill.html?wh=wh

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

hmmmm, i would say this is a much more EDIT: important topic to work on than gays/lesbians being accepted

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

it is more important! if it passes I get a $1200 check plus another $3000/year for when i go to college :)

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

lol

well there needs to be a better plan for people who are getting out to go to college, especially considering there would be more people who would be getting out to get a degree and come back into the military as officers possibly, than there is right now...after they came out with that new chart on what you would have to make in the civilian world to match your pay in the military, the average person who gets out at 4 years would have to make 43k in the civilian world to make the same kind of living or something like that...

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

more than that. I make probably 43k just in pay (with san diego BAH), add in all the other perks and it's more. pay really isn't that bad in the military unless you're a genius.

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

exactly, its pretty good when you get to settle in. so going from that to having to work and go to college and live in a slum is a shitty transition

7. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

the way the gi bill is these days, in alot of cases, keeps people in the military that might want to get out and go to school, but are afraid they wont be able to make is financially.:nono:

8. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

they need to make it where you can give it to your spouce already. if i could go home and get a job to pay for a place and my car/food/insurance, i would just pay for my woman to finish off school.

9. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Oh geez. I get paid to go to school as it is at a major university. How can you guys ask for MORE money? I guess if you're trying to live off of it so you don't have to work..... I pocket about a grand a semester as it is. It won't pay for everything but it'll pay for food if you can find somewhere to live.

10. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Are you seriously going to go to Harvard?

11. kawasakizx6rrrr

cambat action= america owes you! thats what i say. i'm a combat vet and i go back up to MA and i get tuition exempt at a state school. thats about $800 off per semester i believe. that's cool, except fot the fact that the activity fees and all that shit come out to $2,500. meanwhile national guard members that have never deployed are getting all of it payed for...i can't figure it out..

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

this is one thing that i think reservists deserve, if youve been in reserve long enough to pay for the GI bill, and you get deployed at all, you should get GI Bill in full IMHO

13. kawasakizx6rrrr

you said it all right there bud.

14. EYOB

EYOB Guest

15. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

why only those that came back from the war?

16. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Credibility ??

17. Twisted STi

what do you mean?

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I think the "war" thing is over doing it. You can argue in many ways what defending your country is, and obviously some high up person will have the ultimate say in what that is... but I can easily argue that I in the Navy onboard a BMD ship do more to defend America than the people over in Iraq (and no I'm not trying to start a flame war it's an example and I don't feel that way).

I think the big problem is GI bill doesn't get an increase often. GI bill should go up whatever % base pay goes up each year, and it should be back dated to whenever to show an immediate increase. At the very least.

19. Twisted STi

thats what the ribbons are for.

20. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

That chart is by and large a bunch of BS that was drawn up into scaring people to stay in. You can't really accurately tell everyone in a certain pay grade what they will have to make as a civilian in order to equal your military benefits for a number of reasons. For one, the military ALWAYS GROSSLY INFLATES the value of their "medical" coverage. I put it in quotes because I don't feel a real doctor believes that 800MG of Motrin every 6 hours will cure everything. Second, they NEVER take location into account. As long as you stay away from the uber expensive coastlines, you can live very well on much less money. ie: Arkansas, where I am currently stationed, is stupid cheap to live, has more jobs than you will ever know what to do with, and people are actually friendly. So every time I get that stupid letter from the government saying I would have to make damn near 6 figures as a civilian just to equal my E5 pay, I just laugh. The sad thing is, they actually get some people to believe their bullshit.

21. Twisted STi

for some, but not for all?

22. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

would you acknowledge that the sacrifices made from going to combat are larger than a regular deployment or even being stationed in the CONUS

23. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

this is max truths....but with my car note and soon to be house note i dont think i will be making enough money to cover medical/dental insurance for myself and have the same ammount of money left over to save/spend...BUT atleast i will have all the time in the world to stay at home and whine about it :wavey:

24. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

sacrifices made are more yes, but how much sacrifice should constitute GI bill?

25. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i think any more than 1 year and a deployment is enough sacrifice to get your GI bill, as long as you get a good discharge...