Very vague issue with my bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by trez157, Sep 17, 2005.

1. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Hey all, new to the bike world, just picked up my first bike, a 91 Kawi ZX600D about a month ago. It has 28k miles on it, been dropped and been down a few times. But, for 600 bucks, Im not complaining. Anyway, heres the issue.

When I bought it, it hadnt been run in a few months, I know this to be fact because I bought it from a friend who got busted for wreckless driving on it. Anyway, I brought it down from SLO and it ran fine for the first week or so. Then, the battery started to die on it til I finally bought a new one for it. Anyway, today, I rode it for the first time in 2 days and it ran fine. Went for a short drive, less than 2 miles I would say, and came home real quick. When I went to start it again, I noticed that it was sounding like the battery was running low when I started it up. Well, I went for a ride on it and it died on me. I had to get it jump started at this shop I was in front of. Well, I got home alright, and then I turned the bike off. I went to start it again, and, lo and behold, it died. It sounds like the battery is drained, it barely cranks, but wont start. Any suggestions?

Cliffs - Installed new battery, ran fine for a few weeks, today it ran fine for a while, but now is drained again. Any ideas?

2. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Alternator/regulator is bad on the bike?

3. trez157

I dont believe the bike has an alternator. I know it has something to charge the battery obviously, but its not an alternator.

Update - I jump started it and let it run for a bit on its own. It ran for like 2 minutes, then just died. like, it turned off on its own. Still has some juice to it, as the lights are still on, but not enough to keep the bike running.

4. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

teh bike from hell :noes:

we should take it apart and fix it

5. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Your stator maybe going out. When the battery dies, can you jump start the bike? (with the car NOT running!)

Also, is there anything extra on the light that maybe pulling to much power? (Lights, etc.) Maybe the stator is unable to keep up with amount of power being drawn. Its probably the stator going bad though.

6. Frequency

Frequency New Member

pull the fuses for your lights and signals start the bike if it keeps running then its your battery if it does im going with alternato

7. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Whatever it is that charges the battery is bad, and needs replacing. When you jump-start it, you give the battery some juice, but if the charging system is bad, the bike will be running on the leftover battery until it's drained, instead of the charging system, like it should be. Battery is only supposed to be used for starting, once it's running, bike should be getting it's power from the alternator/stator, whatever it uses to charge the battery.

8. trez157

How involved of an install is the stator? And is there any way i can test mine to see if that is the issue with it?

9. Subie Driver

Probably take it to a dealership, and they can probably test it. Or maybe even one of those batter/alternator places, they should at least be able to test the battery and charging system to see if it's working properly. As to how easy it would be to intall a new one, can't really say, never done it, but I wouldn't think it would be too tough, although I bet that everything is packed in tight to make it more compact, so it migt be tricky.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

You can pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store. Assuming its 12v (which most are) they'll be able to load test it and tell you if its dead. Should be free.

You can also start the bike (push start) disconnect the battery and put a multimeter on the wires coming from the stator (opposite the clutch on the crankshaft of the motor) If you get anything less than 12v (should be closer to 14v) you've got a dead stator.

11. trez157

Well, Im sure the battery is good, like I said, its new, so Im gonna order a stator off ebay. New ones from Kawi are almost 400 bucks, and this one site has them for 270, but ebay has a few in great condition for a lot less. I'll update once me and g0dle55 install the new one.

12. noxxs

noxxs New Member

sounds like your stator is bad, it happens on alot of old bikes. pretty much they end up shorting themselves out and either dont work as well or dont work at all. usually the stator is just underneath a cover, and a magnetic rotating cup called a rotor/alternator (depends on who you talk to or who made the bike). what you'll have to do is take both the cover and rotor off to get your stator out, and dont worry about seals, it is dry in there so there will be no messy oil. take the stator to the local dealer and have them check it, if its bad, you can either get one from them or look for the clostest salvage yard, they usually have them from 70-50% of original price. good luck.

edit: ibtoolate

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Seriously, check the battery first.
    Its free to check and only takes a few minutes of your time. Its also cheaper (and probably warrantied) should you need to replace it. Plates short out sometimes.

14. trez157

Yea, I had Autozone test out the battery for me and they said it was good. So I ordered a stator off ebay and am waiting for that to get here. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

15. trez157

Alright, heres the deal, we installed a stator i got off of ebay, and charged the battery on the bike. Let her run for a bit, she lasted about 3 minutes and then died. i tried to start her again and the battery was dead. tomorrow, me and g0dl355 are gonna take a multimeter and check the stator and battery again. He thinks maybe the idle is to low and not letting the bike charge up, any ideas?

16. Subie Driver

Could also be a problem in the wiring of the charging system. Best thing would be to take it to a place that can test the whole charging system, they should be able to pinpoint your problem.

17. noxxs

noxxs New Member

you could have a mild short somewhere in the system?? even if the battery was full, it should last more than 3 minutes. did the bike run strong for the first minute??

18. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

on my cbr600, the alternator doesnt start charging the battery until about 4k rpms

19. trez157

It ran completely fine. the only thing we noticed was some dimming from the headlights, but i figured that might of been due to the low rpms the bike was at roughly 1k. me and g0dl355 are gonna check out the battery today, along with the new stator. then we are gonna try and mess with the idle.

20. trez157

Interesting, so maybe if we test this battery and its no good, we will go and get another one. Fuck this sucks man, I miss riding.

21. trez157

Alright, heres an interesting thing going on. We charged the battery to start the bike, then plugged the multimeter to the terminals to test the charge. It gradually dropped. Like, it just kept dropping, from 11 to 7 and i let go of the gas, and the bike died. Bad battery?

22. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Sounds like a wiring fault like a bunch of others have said. I'd really have checked that out well before dropping the money on a new stator. They dont fail that often.

23. trez157

Trust me, Im glad I did. The guy i bought the bike from dropped it, and the 3 wires on the stator got exposed. He, being the genius that he is, taped all of them together. So that stator had issues anyway.

24. Jerm

Jerm I

Check what other wiring that guy fooled w/?

I maybe able to roll by and check it out if you like, let me know :)

25. trez157

:rofl: Yea, I called him and asked what else hes touched electrical wise on the bike. He said the stator, the turn signals and he changed the bulb for the headlight. 2 of those 3 were fucked. The turn signals, for some reason, he thought it would be ok to tape the neg and pos wires together. It fried the relay. So me and g0dl355 re did that, just waiting on another relay. The new stator is in, so Im just waiting on my new battery to charge today before I pick it up from the shop. So I hope everything is up and running by the end of the day, Imma see if g0dl355 can bring his voltimeter by later so we can see if the battery is getting fucked again. But I appreciate man, Ill let you know if I need help