GUN Very stupid question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by joed1228, Apr 27, 2009.

1. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Now with the economy sucking and people looking to make ends meet or even a little bit of cash, anyone in the ammo buisness can make some serious cash. Why not hire two more people and run the ammo machine 24 hours a day, instead of one shift why dont they run three shifts? Now is the time for people to make more money off ammo, if/when things calm down they're going to be kicking themselves. Supply the demand while you can. If I owned an ammo shop I would literally live in the shop for the short time there is such a desire for ammo like there is now.

It may be alot harder with the guns because you need skilled people but ammo....

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Most of the machines are for the most part automated. I think many companies realize that the surge of ammo purchases will not last forever and they may end up in the hole if they purchase new machinery for new lines or factories. The machinery is extremely expensive.
    There are many small machine shops putting out AR forged and billet lowers, I have a feeling there will soon be a surplus of them on the market and prices will drop below what they were before the election.

3. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

I agree, I wouldnt buy new machines or anything, thats way too much of a cash risk for demand that is so unstable. Instead of running the machine from 8am-5pm just send home that one guy and bring in someone else for the next eight hours and the same for the last 8 hours. No extra cost except paying the employee and the extra ammo will make your cash back plus spread your name as the "go to" place for ammo which will in turn make you more popular when demand goes back to normal.

4. pyite

pyite Member

i wish someone would do this. i need 9mm bad.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

why would you invest the money in equipment when democrats could ban your method of making money in a heart beat?

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The ammo manufactureres are running their machines for the most part 24/7. Black hills is actually opening a new giant facility in help meet the demand.

From what I hear the military is taking the bulk of the ammo. For instance Lake city had a warehouse full of components including small rifle primers which are worth their weight in gold right now. The military
    decided they wanted to switch from 62gr to 55gr tracers and lake city had to break down their machines and use all their current stock to fill that order.

7. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Umm I said I wouldnt invest money in any equipment at all, just people for man hours on the machine.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The big bottle neck is primers at the moment. I hear some people tried to get a large quantity of focchi primers from over seas but it got tied up in customs.

The domestic primer manufacturers such as winchester, federal and cci are all tied up with military contracts. There are huge backorders from all the usual players such as graffs, powder valley, dillon etc for millions of primers but none are to be had. If these guys can't get primers that is bad news for everybody.

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yup, most of the big manufacturers claim to already be running 24/7 so its not that easy. At the rate it is selling its not gonna matter if the smaller shops run 24/7... it would be like pissing on a fire.

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

they are already maxed out with what they have

they aren't putting in a 9/5 with their current machines. they are running that shit full throttle.

they simply can't put out anymore without expanding

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

fyi you can backorder primers from cabelas online and I got mine shipped in like 6 weeks :hs:

12. john in jax

john in jax New Member

+1 to yar and hsmith

You can line up all the labor and reloading equipment you want, but without primers, bullets and/or cases you aren't going to be producing anything.

13. reman

reman New Member

Primers are still hand made if you didn't know that.

14. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

:eek3:

no wai

15. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Would suck to have that job

16. BLH

BLH Member

My boss use to work in a munitions plant years ago, you want to hear about some nasty stuff, get him on stories about the primer mixtures...