MIL Very strange question about boot camp...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I read an article about how recruits can be baptized in boot camp by the chaplain, and since i'm Jewish and never had a bar mitzvah, does anyone know if they also do bar mitzvah's in boot camp? If they do baptism's then I would assume the answer to my question would be yes, but i'm not sure.

I know this is a pretty strange question, I asked my recruiter this question last week and he said he'll look into it but I haven't heard anything from him so i'm wondering if anyone on here possibly has an answer.

I can definitely wait until after boot camp, but I figured if I had the opportunity in boot camp then I would definitely do it, getting Bar Mitzvah'd and earning the title of United States Marine all at the same time, doesn't get any better than that :x:.

2. insomnia

insomnia New Member

:rofl:

I don't have any idea... all I know is that going to church on sundays gave us a few hours off.

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

My relationship with religion and God grew while in boot camp. I went to a few services and have never witnessed a baptism. It might be something that you can do 1 on 1 with the chaplain, but I am not sure. I would feel more comfortable doing it at home.

4. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

There are girls at church. :hsugh:

I'm going to hell. :hs:

5. insomnia

insomnia New Member

They wouldn't let me wear contacts so I was blind, and I had a lung infection and was puking up flem. The last thing I was thinking about was women :o

6. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

That contradicts all information given on bar mitzvahs...

"A Jewish boy automatically becomes a Bar Mitzvah upon reaching the age of 13 years. No ceremony is needed to confer these rights and obligations."

That quote was taken directly from Judaism 101.

"When a Jewish child reaches the age of maturity (12 years for girls, 13 years for boys) that child becomes responsible for him/herself under jewish law. At this point a boy is said to become Bar Mitzvah (בר מצווה, "son of the commandment")"

That quote was taken from Wikipedia

"Judaism deems a boy a "bar mitzvah" when he turns 13 and a girl becomes "bat mitzvah" when she turns 12... Though people talk about being "bar-mitzvahed" there is NO ritual that must be performed to be considered a Jewish adult in the eyes of Jewish law."

That quote was taken from Jewish celebrations...

Given the information, it looks like the ceremony is not required as per the religion like a baptism, so more than likely no.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Yeah I thought it was an age thing. Worked a lot of them when I was employed in the catering depot. (civ) at Henry Ford's Museum & Village.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Mabye that's what it says in the text books, but that's not reality, just ask any Jew. It takes months of studying to prepare for a bar mitzvah and in the Jewish community, you've either had one or you didn't, regardless of age.

9. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Yes you study and prepare and you become bar mitzvahd at the age of 13, what the books and studys/sites say is that the ceremony is not required it's more of a celebration.

A baptism is required for some religions.

10. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

Crap, there were three reasons why i went to church in basic. 1) Girls 2) Gets you away from the TIs 3) Girls
    Black I'll see you there.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

You mean DI?

12. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

nope, every hundredth platoon just gets Talent Instructors. they teach us how to sing and dance

13. Darky

Darky New Member

JL's probably AF. They have TI's (Training Instructors). Everyone calls em different. If I recall correctly, I think its the Army who refers to them as Drill Sergeants.

BTW there were no grils within viewing range when I went to church. They were in the back behind us all, and there was no turning around to look. The girls were civilians who came to watch the service because MCRD San Diego is a big tourist attraction...

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I doubt it.
    Going to church was nice though. The only time the DI's were not around yelling at us and messing us up.

15. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

:rofl:

16. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

that was fucking hilarious... :rofl: