Very Simple Java Problem - Installing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unknown_soldier, Jan 27, 2006.

1. unknown_soldier

unknown_soldier New Member

I've been taking Java, SQL Development, and Oracle 9i classes at school. I do all my work at the computer labs on campus, but getting into my Java Servlets class, I need to do some work at home. I've installed a bunch of stuff, and open up TextPad to compile my .java file, but it won't compile. It's not finding any of the classes. I figured they would have been installed with the J2SDK install. I've never actually set everything up on a computer, so I need help so I can work on this stuff from home.

So far I've installed:
    Jakarta Apache Tomcat 5.5
    J2SDK 1.4.2
    TextPad 4.4.2

I've searched Sun's website but don't know what to search for. Where do I download the class files and do I need to put the classes in a certain folder? It sounds like such a newb question, but they haven't shown us how to set it all up, just how to figure out the code. :hs:

C:\Documents and Settings\****\Desktop\HelloWorld.java:2: package javax.servlet does not exist
    import javax.servlet.*;
    ^

2. MrMan

MrMan New Member

3. unknown_soldier

unknown_soldier New Member

I already have
    Name: ClassPath
    Value: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.0\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

set in the system variables. I added what the page said to put in the user variables, still doesn't work. Is it okay to have it pointing to that ZIP file? Should I unzip it and have it point to the folder?

(Zip file contains: com, META-INF, and quicktime folders). 'com' folder has a few folders in it and deep inside they contain classes.

4. YoSmoovKid

YoSmoovKid New Member

uh huh,

well first thing you need to check is if you have j2ee runtime environment installed. if not you are pointing to j2se runtime environment, which doesn't have the servlet api.

good day.

5. YoSmoovKid

YoSmoovKid New Member

my advice... download both the j2ee runtime environment, install it, right click "My Computer", "Advanced" tab, go to your classpath, specify the name as J2EE_HOME and set your path to the j2re folder(i.e. C:\Program Files\j2re1.4.x), "Apply" and thats it java n00b.