GUN Very low recoil self defense caliber?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by saxman, Mar 26, 2008.

1. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

So I'm thinking of purchasing a gun for my parents to keep around the house for self defense.

My mother has MS, and as such, can't take huge amounts of recoil without injuring herself. Obviously, I'd want to purchase them a gun that she could at least shoot from time to time to stay practiced. Any recommendations on what caliber to go with? I know my 9mm would be WAY too much for her. Obviously .22lr isn't going to do nearly enough to someone to be effective as self defense, but that's the kinda recoil I'd like to find.

2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

With all due respect, if she cant handle a 9mm without some practice she probably shouldnt be using a gun for self defense. Anything less than 9mm (save for .380) just doesnt cut it as a self defense round. Have you talked to her about going to the range more often and practicing a little more? Maybe rent a few different guns to get her more familiar with them?

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

ar15? virtually no recoil and a better choice than a handgun anyway

4. saxman

It's not a matter of her being able to handle it, it's a matter of due to her physical condition, something of "larger" caliber would injure her.

An AR would never fly... my mom isn't the most pro gun, and while I could probably get away with them getting a hangun, a scary black rifle would not work.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree that an AR would be a good choice. VERY low recoil, and .223 is an effective HD round.

If you don't like an AR then you don't like a handgun. One is not more "evil" than the other.

6. saxman

This is california... having an AR isn't an easy thing.

While I agree that one isn't more evil than the other, this isn't common place thinking in the world.

Long story short, needs to be a handgun.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

Seriously, this is going to sound really stupid. but from what I understand the Hi Point 9mm Carbines are very reliable, and is a good compact CQB carbine that allows her to absorb recoil via the buttstock.

Plus it's cheap as shit. Do some research on them. ATI makes a stock for them now that make them slightly less gay.

there's also the Marlin 9mm carbine, but its a lot more I think.

Cheap, reasonable alternatives.

http://images.google.com/images?q=h...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

8. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

How about a 9mm carbine? Plenty of manufacturers offer them, recoil shouldn't be that bad, ammo is fairly inexpensive and it should offer enough stopping power.

:o Beat by AB13, but I will mention a few other manufacturers, Ruger makes the PC9, Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and there's always the Beretta CX4

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You can (easily) get an AR in california. Plenty of OLL exist, and just use a bullet button.

A handgun is BAD home defense when compared to a shotgun (too much recoil) or an AR.

At this point, it sounds like they simply shouldn't have a firearm... Because a shotgun is gonna be too much for them... and a handgun is going to recoil too much and be difficult to aim. and if they think the proper solution (AR) is 'evil' then there is nothing that will work for them.

10. saxman

a rifle in general isn't going to work. She has a shoulder injury that very likely could make firing a rifle very difficult.

Again, handgun is what really what this needs to be.

Keep in mind that anything is more effective than what she has at her disposal now.

What about something in .22 magnum?

11. saxman

Yes, I know the laws around an AR in California. Try to explain them to someone who isn't super pro-gun, and expect them to be able to explain them at the range that doesn't agree with the oll movement. It isn't the answer.

While I'd much rather see them with something like a shot gun, it simply won't work. I would much rather them have something, even if it isn't nearly as effective as it could be, than nothing at all.

12. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

This will probably bring loads of argument, but how about the FN Five-seveN?

13. saxman

I have absolutely no experience with it, and have never shot one, so wouldn't know if the recoil was ok or not. What does that round feel like?

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

first thing that came to mind was a really big heavy revolver, in a caliber without much kick. .38spcl, but I don't know if that's still too much. There's an even tamer round than the .38spcl, but I can't remember what it is. Old old caliber, but it may work the best.

A 9mm revolver could work as well. If you're set on a handgun, a revolver would be best anyway, as it is the simplest.

15. saxman

I'll definitely being looking into .38 special in a revolver, but I fear that may still be too much.

16. saxman

how does .32 H&R mag compare to .38 spl?

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

problem with mousegun calibers is they are usually in mouseguns. Very small which means heavier recoil.

If you can find a big frame in a .380, that would probably be the best compromise. (Bersa is about the biggest mousegun, glock I think makes a .380 too.)

FN 5-7 is very low recoil but you are going to pay a ton for the gun and a ton for the ammo.

A .22 magnum revolver is also a candidate. it's better than nothing and you can get those in just about every size from a pocket gun to a target model.

.32 mag is an ok round as well, harder to find.

Whatever you get you gotta get her to practice, practice, practice with it and have extra mags/speedclips available. The smaller calibers mean you want as many rounds available as possible in case what's in the gun doesn't do the trick.

edit: Forget the Glock, the .380s aren't available in the US.

While many hate them, Hi Point does make a .380 in a full size frame and I think you can get a compensator for it as well.

http://www.weaponsroom.com/body.asp?gun=Pistol&pp=1&sort=1&pop=1

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  18. saxman

there are plenty of revolver options out there that take the smaller rounds but are larger in size. Hell, my .22lr pistol is much larger and heavier than my 9mm pistols.

How does .17hmr compare to .22lr?

19. dymondboy2f

dymondboy2f Second place is the first loser.

If she can't handle a 9mm she shouldn't be shooting a gun.

20. saxman

why? any gun is better than no gun...

I'd much rather not be shot than be shot with a .22lr...

21. johnson

johnson New Member

22. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

10 round magazine ftl

23. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

24. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Another vote for the FN FiveseveN and the 5.7x28mm round. Very low recoil, long barrel and sight radius for easy aiming, and a 20rd clip (30 with an extender) to make up for inexperienced shooters. People are going to bitch about the ballistics now, but in a home defense situation it will be MORE than enough.

The problem is cost: ~850 for the gun and $0.50/round.

25. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I think the FN5.7 is a pretty bad choice, IMO. I agree with looking into revolvers and the ones that sneakyjesus posted.

Also, this is CA people, the 20/30 round magazine that the FN offers is a moot point because they're limited to 10 rounds by law.