A&P VERY cool piece of software...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jonny Chimpo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

For the past month I've been putting together a new file server to store (among other things) all my images. In the process of building this box, I've started rethinking my asset management and offloading workflow and I've been looking for better tools to manage the offloading of images from memory card onto the server.

That search has led me to a little app from Breeze Systems called Downloader Pro. It's only $29.95 but for what it can do, it's easily worth 3x that price.

Why?

Well, here's a few things it can do:
    - Automatically create folders to copy images into based on user defined job name/number at the beginning of offloading.
    - Geotag images on the fly during offloading.
    - Tag images with icc profiles on the fly.
    - Lossless auto-rotate JPG images on the fly.
    - ICMP tagging on the fly.
    - Rename files based on EXIF data during offloading.
    - Copy and apply tagging/naming rules from any drive/card/network location.
    - Differentiate between multiple cameras based on EXIF (serial number) and rename files accordingly.
    - Sync file time stamp with image capture time during offloading.

Big deal, right?

Well, here's what it can do in practice: I've shot with two 20D's and a 40D in my current library, and naturally, all the images are bullshit names like _MG_0001.jpg and they are stored in folders that I've had to manually name. Using Downloader Pro, I set up the preferences one time for file naming (more on that in a minute) and then every time I launch the app to offload it prompts me for a job name and then starts the download.

The job name and the date of the shoot (based on the time stamps of the images on the memory card) become the folder name such as "d:\images\Smith Wedding - 2008-07-03" and then the files are named things like "20D1-JPG00001-200ISO-100mm-f2.8-250sec.jpg" and all of that is customizable. This way, you can end up image names that actually mean something instead of bullshit.

I've been trying this out tonight with some old shoots and here's a screen shot of it in action with Downloader Pro running on my server in a remote access window with the resulting files showing up in a share directory on my Mac. At that point, offloading is done and I can immediately open shots in the image processor of my choice.

[​IMG]

:cool:

If you're a high volume pro shooter, you NEED this app. (Mojito and tits, I'm looking at you two. ;))

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

weird, what i normally do is use lightroom, import and copy (allows me to apply a rename to all files per card) when importing from device.

3. alexromo

alexromo New Member

i import with bridge. renames and puts them in specific specified folders....

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

does it do HDRs?

5. Jonny Chimpo

the hell does HDR have to do with anything?

6. Jonny Chimpo

I don't think you guys quite understand what this app is doing. :dunno:

This isn't just letting me apply a preset folder or file rename, it's renaming each file based on it's EXIF data along with specified a specified job name. This app fits before the Lightroom or Bridge import routines and allows MUCH more robust file handling when you're getting the images off of you're memory cards.

If the Bridge or Lightroom workflow works for you guys, that's fine, but personally I've found it to be pretty limited, particularly in multiple camera workflows.

7. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

:rofl: