vertical jump improvement?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by immortal, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. immortal

immortal Chrome Rim Expert

i need to dunk. besides squatting, basic plyometric exercises, training with explosiveness on your lifts... any other exercises or tips for gaining on your vert? ive read the vertical jump bible (i have it on pdf pm me if you want the link) and am just trying to look for more info besides whats on the web in basic google searches.

thanks in advanced for any help.

2. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

How close are you to dunking? Can you touch the rim from under the basket? I used to squat and explode up and grab the rim as many times in a row as I could for a few sets. It seemed to help.

3. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Google: Air Alert.
    I did Air Alert 2..worked wonders, but killed my knees (i mean i'm 28 now and they be jacked.)
    Looks like they have air alert 3 out now, supposed to be easier on the joings.

Note: can still dunk and i'm 5'11" with shoes on.

4. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

have you completed any of the programs in the jump bible? and what's your bodyfat %?

5. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

i would just do one of the programs in the vertical jump bible. i have done air alert before it can help the first time but it works more endurance to me.

6. immortal

immortal Chrome Rim Expert

i'm 5'11, i had ankle surgery in november. before that i was able to jump and hang from the rim. i wasnt going to the gym at all and i wasnt doing any plyometrics. i think with some gym action + plyometric training (never done plyometrics before) i would be able to gain 6-8" i need to be able to dunk.

according to the VJB im 10%bf or less. pretty close to that. right now i'm just getting my basic strength levels up, then was going to follow the intermediate plyometrics program in the VJB.

7. 03zq8

03zq8 Rhodium Member

Running seemed to help my vertical a lot. I'm 5' 9", and have done nothing special for my vert, and I can grab the rim with my palm at 240 lbs.

8. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

oly lifts

9. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Sprinting, right? Long distance training will kill your vert.

Story (check out now if you don't want a story)

I have an identical twin brother. High School, he did high jump in track, i did long distance. We'd go play bball, he'd be flying around dunking all over the place, i barely could touch the rim. I'd tell people, because i'm running long distance in track. them: yeah sure.

Fast forward a month after track season ends. BBAll court, i'm throwing down like mad. Everyone: how'd you increase your verticle by a foot in 1 month?!! ME: Fuck you, i told you my vert was low b/c of long distance training.

the end.

Morale of the story: long distance training hurts your verticle leap.
    proof: willing to bet no part of you Verticle Jump Bible recommends running 5ks as training.

10. Spur

Spur Boomer

Jump soles, plyometrics, and speed training

-I have basketball player friends who use jump soles, and they can fly through the air.

-Plyometrics is pretty much jumping...more jumping...and more jumping. Google search. If you don't increase your vert from this, you should quit and call it a life.

-Speed training is my personal fave. The faster you are, the higher you can jump. Ladder drills, bungie cables, and quick feet drills all help.

11. ilduce

ilduce New Member

If you had surgery you need to worry about getting your strength and stability first. Just stick with the VJB, the results will come if you follow it correctly.

Can you squat and dead at least double your bodyweight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.