GUN Vero Beach man cleaning gun sends bullet through three apartments

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jul 29, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vero Beach man cleaning gun sends bullet through three apartments
    http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jul/29/vero-beach-man-cleaning-gun-sends-bullet-through-t/
    By Lamaur Stancil (Contact)
    Originally published 11:09 a.m., July 29, 2008
    Updated 11:09 a.m., July 29, 2008

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — An apartment resident accidentally fired his gun while cleaning it, sending a bullet through three other apartments, though no one was struck.

The gun owner, Thomas Gerakaris, 28, of the 2400 block of 57th Circle, Vero Beach, was charged Thursday night with a misdemeanor for culpable negligence. Gerakaris told the Indian River County Sheriff's Office he was cleaning his Glock 40 caliber handgun and forgot to remove the magazine, :hsugh: according to the arrest affidavit. The shot went through his kitchen wall and pierced three other apartments before stopping in the bathroom wall of a neighbor's unit.

Two of the three apartments are vacant, the report said. The resident of one of the apartments was home, but was not in the same room the bullet pierced through, the Sheriff's Office said.

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Glock fotay

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

nga forgot to take out his clip

:bowrofl:

4. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

how the fuck do people do that?

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

good thing it wasn't 10mm. headline would say president bush declares vero beach a federal disaster area after accidental discharge of a cannon

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Any of you guys ever had an ND?

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nope, hopfully I never will, closest I've come is a slamfire and it was pointed downrange, so no damage other then nearly shitting myself.

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.9) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

nope. I have witnessed a couple though

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

hey maybe this was a suicide attempt. I mean forgot to remove the magazine? what in the shit

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Dropped the slide / charging handle and it went off? :noes:

11. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

My only one was when I did the trigger on my 10/22 I sorta double tapped I guess you could say. I didn't expect it to fire right then. Range was hot, and It was pointed at a target so I guess it wasn't too bad. :hsd:

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yep, soft primers probably, was commercial x39 in an SKS.

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

holy shit i cant believe it PIERCED three other apartments

14. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Yeah that would be scary :noes::run:

15. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Jesus. The exact same thing happend to me in an SKS, except I had it elevated at a 30 degree angle or so downrange. Scared the fuck out of me. I still shudder thinking about it.

16. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

What does ND actually stand for? I know its something close to accidental firing. :o

17. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Negligent Discharge

18. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

ive had a few slamfires in my walther. right after the first shot is ejected the slide racks foreword it fires immediately. scares the shit out of me every time. only happens with the winchester white box cheap shit.

now i dont know about you guys, but on my P99, if the magazine is in the gun, you cant take it down and there isnt much to clean... i guess im not seeing what this guy was cleaning.

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Well, as a Glock you have to pull the trigger before you disassemble it, so maybe he forgot to pull the mag before clearing the chamber. A round was loaded and he pulled the trigger thinking it was empty and BANG.

i guess he definitely wasnt professional enough to handle the Glock Fotay.

20. smartypants

smartypants New Member

10 bucks says he was playing with it or taking a photo for Myspace.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you're truly getting slamfires you need to send it in for repair, s&w will take care of you for free. The p99 has a very short reset though, I've heard people report similar problems before and eventually figure out it was them and not the gun. Pay very close attention to your finger during recoil and be sure you're not bouncing it just the little bit needed to fire again.

And I agree, he was probably playing with it.

22. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

yea, ive been trying to figure out if it is my fault. i usually slowly pull the trigger and hold it when im not trying to be speedy. i could be tapping it a second time without knowing it.

23. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I nearly had this happen to me with my G21. I dropped the mag and my finger was on the trigger when I realized there was one chambered. Scared me a bit...

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Nope and hopefully I never will. I try to be as carful as I can, I make it a habit to check the chamber multiple times, after all if you are cleaning a few guns the chamber checking can run together so I always try and check a couple times and I always check even if I "know" it is unloaded, its a good habit, but it is made that much more important when my gf is allowed to take the guns to the range w/o me and there is an extra pistol with magazine loaded in case it is needed. This also includes situations like drop the magazine and check then chamber, then someone comes to the door or calls my phone when I return to the gun I still check its condition.

Still if i live long enough I am sure there would be the potential, i.e. carelessly loading one too many rounds in the 22 SA pistol (leaving one under the hammer can lead to a ND) still it is knowing I can screw up any day at any step that keeps me from becoming complacent. And on a long enough timeline . . .

Closest I have ever come was with an old WWII luger I inherited. had a delayed firing, it was still pointed down range but I only had a loose grip on it since I was setting it down on the bench to wait. When it went of it still scared me even though I knew it could happen. I can't imagine how scary it would be to have a weapon you thought shouldn't fire suddenly discharging.

25. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I wonder if he shot the mirror... if he was then he was definitely being a commando in his apartment. :mamoru:

No NDs here. Drop the mag, rack the slide a handful of times, check, re-check.