Verizon USB wireless internet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Aug 13, 2008.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Anybody use this before? They claim download speeds up to 1.4mb and upload to 800k.

if this is true, that is fast enough for me.

what about reliability? will this work in a building well?

they charge $60 per month. anybody else know of better providers with a better product and possibly less $$ per month?

thanks OT.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my brother in law had it, he was getting roughly double the speed of dialup

maybe they have upgraded speeds since last year or he was in a crappy service area

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I used it for a while when traveling around my area, Kansas and the general midwest region, it was horridly slow and unreliable. The best speeds I ever got were probably around 100k, most of the time and especially during the night it was much slower. The connection also frequently turned into a zombie and I would have to reconnect, sometimes taking a minute or two to authenticate and get back on. The only reason I had it is a friend worked at a local Verizon store and got me a hookup, I decided to pay full price for AT&T after just a dozen times using it while traveling.

Of course in this area Verizon has far less of a network than in their prime areas, it's probably better in their better markets.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

Yeah, I thinks omethin glike this would REALLY depend on Verizon's service in the area. You *should* be able to do a 30 day trial or something, like you can with their phones. It might be a hassle cancelling it, but you can look into it.

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

yeah, they said that there is a 30 day trial but you know how that goes. I wanted to see what the reviews were for it before I even went that far. Ughh, I got to figure this thing out soon.

Thanks OT. I'll do a little more research on it and let you know what I find.

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

what phone do you have? use pdanet if you have a treo/centro.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/

Get Wireless Internet on your laptop through the Treo or Centro phone - The PdaNet software allows your computer to go online by connecting to your phone through the Hotsync USB cable or Bluetooth. If you own a Treo or Centro phone with a data plan subscription from any carriers, PdaNet will make it your wireless Internet Connection for your laptop/desktop computer instantly - no extra hardware or setup necessary.

one time fee of like $34, or of course there are illegal ways of obtaining it.

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

thanks and good idea, but I don't have any phone like that or data plans.

This is really going to be for a stationary desktop computer that I cannot find a provider for in the area. I'm not sure what to do except this. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago and now I was considering the wireless thing.

I've still got some debating to do.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

My father has a Verizon wireless card and it's pretty good. Obviously not quite cable speeds, but much faster than dialup.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

sprint seems to have some pretty kickass speeds with their cards

10. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Make sure your area is serviced by EVDO Rev A for the fastest speeds. Even then, it's dependent on how good of a cellular signal you receive inside the house. Keep in mind that your cell phone may not be a good judge of cellular reception either. My Verizon USB card picked up a good 1-2 bars fewer (~10dB less) signal than my cell phone did in the same spot.

11. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

well....thanks for all of your responses. I actually viewed the USB internet thing active in the location I want to use it and it is fast enough (not cable, but much better than dial-up). A customer of mine came in and had one and I asked to hook it up. Thing worked pretty good and I am actually a little impressed with it.

Thanks for all of your input, I'm gonna stick with verizon since I already have an account set up with them.