Verizon or Tmobile or Cingular?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MexicanTaco, Jul 7, 2005.

1. MexicanTaco

MexicanTaco New Member

My verizon plan is up on monday and I questioning if I should continue with them.

The service is great but phones just suck.

Give my your input OT.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

of the three you list, cingular has the best service/phones.

3. Icedog

Icedog New Member

I just switched to tmobile about a month ago and I love them. I switched from Sprint.

4. Boiling Point

Boiling Point New Member

verizon is pissing me off. i have one more year with them, and i don't think i'm going back to verizon. they are raising the price on recieving text messages and they isn't free minutes on national holidays. they have the best reception but their plans are expensive as hell.

5. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Try the free trial for both tmobile and cingular. that is how you make your decision. Don't cancel your vzw contract until you decide, then you can port later :)

6. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

for the west coast all 3 are good choices

until the recent merger, Verizon had the largest network area... but now.. Cingular does

however, if you mainly stay in L.A. then that won't matter much as the coverage is pretty even.

all 3 pride themselves on their customer service, so that's not much of an issue. check the coverages in the stores to make sure there aren't any weak spots with any of them then pick the best phone and plan for what you do.

focus on the core features of the plans and don't get caught up in shit you may not need, ie: rollover minutes or multimedia messaging etc

7. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I prefer Cingular, but it really depends on where you are geographically. I live in the midwest, and Cingular here has bar-none the best reception. Verizon is total crap here, and T-mobile is good.. when you can get a signal in many areas.

8. ISO9002

ISO9002 New Member

9. bilmind

bilmind Licka' Licka' High

Cingular...

Tmobile will more than likely be sold to Vodafone by the end of 2k5.
    I don't like CDMA, so no to Verizon. Even though you can get the same PDA / Smartphones as the other carriers. But for just regular phones Cingular has them beat.

I suggest buying an unlocked GSM phone from somewhere and then get a line with a GSM carrier with no contract or at most a 1 year.

10. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

tmobile won't be selling, its just speculation and rumors :hs:

11. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

You're in LA...your best choices are Cingular or Verizon

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Nope. OT Supporter

Neg. So Cal. is very very bad for Cingular. Tmobile fares allright, but it's all about Verizon and Sprint in all of So Cal.

13. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

The only thing I like about GSM phones is the ability to take the sim card out and swap phones on the fly. Unlike CDMA where you have to call in and get them to flash the phone and what not.

14. Vagabond

They're not flashing the phone - they're just telling the towers to listen to the new ESN instead of the old one. Once you have the programming in the phone you don't need to reprogram unless you attach it to another account.

15. onedownfiveup

That's what I was meaning to point out. But you still have to take the time to call in and get them to switch your phone number between ESN's. Instead with GSM phones you can take your sim card out and swap phones on the fly.

16. Vagabond

That same thing makes your phone that much easier to steal. Savy thieves never bother to steal Sprint of Verizon phones.

17. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

CDMA sackride much?

GSM >>>>>>>>>>> CDMA because of the sim card and the selection of phones. Nationwide EDGE is better than Sprint/VZW's intermittent EVDO as of right now. And by the time EVDO is nationwide, Cingular's UMTS/HSDPA network won't be far behind :mamoru:

I switch phones on a semi-daily basis, I go from my treo 650 to my razr (when I go out). 15 seconds and I'm done, no need to worry about going online and switching or having to call in and explain why I want it switched and possibly have them charge me $35 for doing so (like sprint tried to do to me 3 times).

And finally, my phone will work great in Canada, or in 70% of the world, whereas Sprint and VZW phones will not (barring VZW's "world" phone from samsung).

18. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

more then 95% of cell phone customers don't go that though

19. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

vzw has never failed me in so cal. cingular is not bad but i def get better reception that my gf

20. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

eh its probably more than that :o

But thats just one of the major reasons why I like gsm, b/c its obviously important to me. Most users won't even notice the difference between GSM and cdma.

Oh and one other thing - when I use the data connection (EDGE) on my treo, phone calls, texts still come in. However, with CDMA and 1xrtt, phone calls WILL NOT come in. I've tested both technologies and have also looked online and found this to be true. However, with VZWs EVDO, it allows calls to come in if you are in an EVDO area (which I am not 99% of the time)

21. onedownfiveup

I have texts come in with 1xRTT when I'm on the phone.

22. Vagabond

You're not one to talk, you ride GSM's nuts worse. But your reasons are all standard.

EV-DO for Sprint has launched and is nationwide in urban areas - with tested speeds of 700k, I'd like to see EDGE do that. And the world phone Sprint had first - and there's a second one on the way, and it will support Qchat. :wavey:

23. Vagabond

That's not true - most phones made in the past 2-3 years from Sprint allow messages to come though when on the net. The rule of thumb is if the phone allows SMS.

24. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Quit riding Sprint's nuts. They are by far the WORST wireless provider. Their customer service is full of god damned idiots without the authority to even take a piss without permission. Their wireless coverage BLOWS. houston, the fourth largest city in the US, and it's riddled in roaming spots, and dead zones? I can't make a ten minute call while driving without losing signal at least 3 times per call. And this is all over multiple calls. It got so bad I filed a complaint with the BBB and they called me to notify me that since It was so bad they would waive the early termination fee.

25. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

and by the way, I just took a look at Cingulars phone selection, :eek4: :barf:
    If you like huge boxy looking phones stripped of features go right ahead :rolleyes:

Verizon's are waaaaaaaaay better, and that's from spending 10 minutes in a verizon store. I can't wait until I get the funds to jump from one to another and then finally FINALLY i can ditch SPRINT