Verizon Blackberry Phones: Opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Taylor, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Looking at the Verizon Blackberry 7250. Thoughts? Anyone have one?

I have a LG 4600 right now which I like a lot, and a Palm Tungsten T. I'd like to be able to combine the two of them and have email/web access as well, and it seems like the Blackberry is the one that will do that the best. I have not heard good things about the Treo 600 and don't really like its functionality.

2. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

the blackberry is a very nice unit but you almost might want to consider the new samsung coming out. it has some nice features such as wi fi but nobody knows if they will be crippled at all. rumor has it that it may be released late this month. also, be aware that you are going to have to pay for a data plan ontop of your regular plan with these smart phones

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/samsung_2004/index.php?p=i730

3. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

this phone hasn't been announced by verizon yet, so don't expect it late this month.

4. turbodeuce

what are you looking for in a pda? the treo is the only palm based option vzw offers right now. The 7250 is nice and has bluetooth. The audiovox xv6600 is by far the nicest pda verizon has ever carried. In order for the blackberry to have web access (other then email), your company needs a BES server (these are expensive), if they don't you can only access email. I think there is a software update coming out that may fix this, but I'm not sure.

On the blackberry you can open limited attachments, but no editting. it comes down to exactly what you're going to be using it for.

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

weak. no wonder RIMM stock is hurting lately.

6. Taylor

Taylor Guest

From what I have heard, VZW's blackberry plan gives you web access as well.

I really just need basic PDA functions, phone book and scheduler. The Palm is really more than I need, and the Treo is not so great from what I've heard.

7. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

I have that blackberry, but because I'm on Nextel it's the 7520. I don't think I'd ever want to use it as my primary phone because it's so bulky and unless you're using it with an ear piece, it doesn't have that 'phone feel' when its against your ear. It just feels like your mashing a big Palm pilot against your head.

As for all the other blackberry stuff it does, it works fine for me - but I just use it for calender and email out of the office. It also has a cool Arkanoid game but using the rollerball on the side of the blackberry is kind of a pain in the neck.

8. turbodeuce

$45 in addition to your voice plan will give you unlimited data. whether or not your blackberry can have web access is dependant on the hardware you are hooked up to. Like I said, if your company has a bes server you can do it.

and laurelcrest, the 7250 has bluetooth, so you can use a wireless headset.

9. Best thing for you to do is go with a treo600 or 650. I use one of those myself. Blackberry's run on a proprietary OS, so the range of applications is not as much as that of the treo which uses palm OS