Verizon being sued for crippling Bluetooth on V710

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maczter, Jan 19, 2005.

1. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I usually hate silly lawsuits, but I think I'm going to have to side with the Plaintiffs on this one...

Verizon Wireless Sued Over V710 Bluetooth Limitations

Monday, 1:23 PM source: RCR / Reuters

Verizon Wireless is being sued in a California court for "willful, deceptive and oppressive conduct" in limiting the Bluetooth functionality of the Motorola V710. The suit was filed by law firm Kirtland & Packard, who is seeking class-action status for the suit. While the V710 supports three Bluetooth profiles, it does not inlcude the OBEX profile, which would allow users to exchange files between the phone and other devices. The suit claims Verizon misled users by advertising that the phone can "connect to your PC or PDA whenever and wherever you want". Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney claims the limitation is required by the company's agreements with BREW software developers. Meanwhile, Bluetooth SIG executive director Michael Foley spoke out against Verizon, saying "[We are] very disappointed in this (Verizon's) implementation decision and believes [sic] many consumers who purchased [the V710] for the Bluetooth capabilities are frustrated and confused as a result." In response, the SIG plans a new "best of breed" designation for Bluetooth phones that implement Bluetooth functionality beyond the most basic profiles.

http://www.rcrnews.com/news.cms?newsId=21059

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

they deserve it

3. Chris

Chris New Member

motherfuckin :werd:

4. Chris

Chris New Member

I took my 710 back just because of the Bluetooth

5. maczter

I agree 100%. It was short-sighted of them to do that. I was actually considering trying out Verizon around the time the V710 and talk of the crippled bluetooth came out. I personally have no interest in doing business with a company that disables features of a phone simply to increase their bottom line. I realize they're in business to make money, but that's just ridiculous.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

yeah but you cant beat the coverage area, I dont care what anybody says, a Verizon tri-mode phone is the best setup money can buy right now

7. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

:fawk:

8. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

they messed up by advertising "connect to your PC or PDA whenever and wherever you want", because its not true obviously. They only advertised that for a very short period of time. The reason they did it was because of the agreements they have with their BREW software devs (the people who make all the get it now games). If the 710 was open bluetooth you could potentially get all the brew applications for free. They were trying to prevent this, but imo went about it in the wrong way (but i cant think of any other solution). Their new pocket pc, audiovox vx6600, has bluetooth that isn't limited in anyway since it isn't brew capable.

9. Fish1856

Fish1856 New Member

I switched cell phone providers when i found out that it crippled. Much happier with fully enabled bluetooth.

10. esoteric goat

esoteric goat Esoteric means delicious.....

damn, i was just about to buy this phone, what won't it be able to connect to?

11. maczter

the easier question is what WILL it connect to?

and i believe the answer to that is pretty much only bluetooth headsets.

wanna transfer files between your phone and a computer? not gonna happen. :greddy:

12. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

All Verizon's fault too. Motorola just obeyed per contract...Now Verizon is F'd in the A. :rofl:

13. esoteric goat

esoteric goat Esoteric means delicious.....

so should i wait to buy the v710 hoping they will unlock it?